Skip to main content

Thinking About Saint Patrick

          Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (Ephesians 4:31-32)

         Yesterday was Saint Patrick’s Day, when everyone becomes Irish for a day. Do you know that St. Patrick wasn’t Irish? He was a Roman Briton who was enslaved by the Irish. He escaped slavery, returned to Britain, and became a cleric. He claimed that he saw a vision:

I saw a man coming, as it were from Ireland. His name was Victoricus, and he carried many letters, and he gave me one of them. I read the heading: "The Voice of the Irish". As I began the letter, I imagined in that moment that I heard the voice of those very people who were near the wood of Foclut, which is beside the western sea—and they cried out, as with one voice: "We appeal to you, holy servant boy, to come and walk among us.”

          He had no reason to like the Irish, and I can’t imagine he found it easy to love them when he went back. They didn’t welcome him back with open arms. In fact, at least some of the Irish saw him as addlepated. He was beaten and robbed more than once. The Irish of his day would have considered it an insult to associate them with him.
          To do what he believed he was called to do as a Christian, he had to get rid if all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. He had to be kind and compassionate to them, forgiving them just as in Christ, God had forgiven him.
          The centuries were not kind to the Irish. The Brits were brutal. Those who left Ireland to come to America were likely to come as indentured servants and were mistreated. There’s a reason Irish music is either melancholy or frenetic. There’s a reason we associate anger and red hair. There’s a reason they were angry. There is a long time in which the idea of being Irish, even for a day, would have been an insult.
         I have spoken to members of other heritage-groups who believe they have a legitimate grudge against some other portion of society. I have been told that it is necessary that the other portion of society reach out, make amends, apologize, etc. Only once the heritage group has been mollified, only once they’ve been given recompense for the wrong done to them can they consider putting aside their own anger. I think it better to follow the example of St. Patrick.
          Have I? Some would say I haven’t because I live among “my own kind.” I live where I’m accepted. I don’t live among people who have abused me. They assume that I’ve never had to struggle with hatred. I grew up a conservative, white collar Protestant in a liberal, blue collar, Catholic neighborhood. I grew up an introvert in an extroverted society. Cutting the story short, I grew up as a misfit in every way that mattered to me. I’ve been kicked out of organizations where I thought I belonged. I grew up wanting to be a Vulcan…wanting to be just about anything that was not Human. I haven’t had to overcome a hatred of this social group or that cultural subgroup. I have had to overcome a hatred of Humanity as a whole.
          But here’s the other side of it. Patrick didn’t love the Irish by being absorbed into their culture. They ended up absorbing his culture into their identity instead. That’s the direction I feel led. That’s the direction I believe Scripture teaches.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t