Skip to main content

Abel


         By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead. (Hebrews 11:4)

          Adam made love to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain.She said, “With the help of the Lord I have brought forth a man.” Later she gave birth to his brother Abel.
          Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.
           Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”
         Now Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field.” While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
          Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?”
          “I don’t know,” he replied. “Am I my brother’s keeper?” 
           The Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground. (Genesis 4:1-9)
 
          And as you look to the right, the first portrait you will see is of Abel, the second son of Adam and Eve. His story is told in the first nine verses of Genesis 4. What I notice in that when Cain was born, Eve made a comment that was noted in Scripture. When Abel was born, she didn’t. It’s possible that she pinned her hopes for the promised one who would crush the serpent’s head on Cain. Abel was an “also ran.” We often have great expectations for the first born.
          The boys grew and one day, one normal day in a cursed world, Cain and Abel brought sacrifices to God. Cain’s was fruit, Abel’s was fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. And when Cain’s sacrifice was not accepted, he got mad and killed the competition.    
          And that tells us all we know about Abel. He was born, he grew up tending livestock. He offered an acceptable sacrifice. He died. I don’t want to speculate or add to what’s clear. I love the sparseness of the picture. He was born. He grew up. He did his job. He made a sacrifice – a sufficient sacrifice, but apparently nothing spectacular. He died.
         This is a picture of faith I think I might be able to emulate. Nothing fancy. Nothing too big. Just do my job, be obedient but not conspicuous in sacrifice, and die. I like to dream of something more awe-inspiring, but that’s not the picture God paints as His first exhibit of faith.
          The other thing I love about this passage is that it tells us that Abel still speaks even thought he is dead. On the one hand, that is about leaving a legacy. On the other, it is about the power of literature, and the power of the Word. I know my words aren’t inspired like the words of Scripture are, but they are the only legacy I’m likely to have. I would love to still have a voice after I die. Abel makes it clear that I can. It can even be a small voice, but that’s enough for me to be included in the Hall of Faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t