Skip to main content

Sacrifice


          By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death. (Hebrews 11:17-19) 
         
           How could a good God ask any parent to kill his/her child? In our society, the question seems to be the reverse: how could a good God ask any mother not to kill her child? But in this case, Isaac wasn’t just Abraham’s child. It was the child he and Sarah had spent decades waiting for, the miracle child, the promised child through whom all the other promises would be received. How could a good God promise all that He had promised, and just as the boy was heading into manhood, demand his life? Isn’t that the epitome of cruel jokes?
          It’s similar to another cruel joke. In this one, someone gives a present, or someone introduces two friends, and watches as the present becomes the obsession of the recipient, or the two friends become lovers and reject or betray the one who introduced them. This was the issue in the challenge God gave Abraham: Do you love Isaac more than you love Me? Is the gift I gave you, or even the promise I gave you more important than the one who promised it? Are you looking to Isaac as your source of joy and solution to your problems, or to Me?  
         The knife hand rose. It was poised. In his mind and heart, Abraham had already sacrificed Isaac. He would obey God even if it cost him everything he held dear. And God stopped him. He told Abraham that He now knew that Abraham loved Him more than he loved Isaac. In His omniscience, He always knew that, but now he had experienced it. And so did Abraham and Isaac.         
        I sometimes fear that God will ask me to give something up: my dog, my home, my writing, my delusions of competence and independence… It doesn’t really matter what. I’m convinced my best response would be, “No, no, no, no, no… oh OK.” That’s my usual response when I think God is saying, “Go this way.” The fact that everything in me says, “No!” is what leads me to believe it’s God speaking.
          But I’ve been over this terrain before. I’ve given up dreams (and sometimes had them returned to me.) I’ve given up my home, my job, my parents…. In fact, I tend to fear accepting something, because I’m sure at some point God will have to take it away. That’s probably as bad as not being willing to sacrifice, because I’m still focused on the thing, and not on God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...