Skip to main content

Prophet, Priest, and King


                Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.  Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.  Such a high priest truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens.  Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.  For the law appoints as high priests men in all their weakness; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever. (Hebrews 7:23-28)
                Israel had millions of Levitical priests, and at least thousands of Levitical high priests. They did their jobs. They made sacrifices for their own sins, and for the sins of others. Those who were made priests and high priests were men – just plain, old, ordinary, sinful and flawed men, just like the rest of us. We might get upset that these supposed leaders of their community, these supposed pillars of the religious community in Israel, were such failures. Leadership should be held to higher standards, after all. And yet, God dealt with them in spite of their weakness, failures, and sins. Amazingly, God doesn’t necessarily disqualify someone from serving Him just because they aren’t perfect. He even called Cyrus, “My servant.” 
                Just as the point of the priesthood was no more to make people perfect than the point of the Law was. And it took a different sort of priest to make the sacrifice for the sins of the people. It took a priest who was innocent of the sins, who didn’t need to offer a sacrifice for his own sins, and a priest who was willing to be the sacrifice. In spite of the sufficiency of Christ, and the uniqueness of Christ, we still look to our church and civic leaders to act as prophet, high priest, and king, to be morally perfect with regard to others but indulgent of our sins. And when he is found to have feet of clay, we follow the Pharisees and Sadducees in calling for his crucifixion even though those leaders are not meant to be Christ.  As we head into another political cycle, keep in mind that our elected officials are all failed, sinful people – but also that we are not electing our Messiah. It is not his/her job to solve all our problems or to be prophet, priest, or king.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t