Skip to main content

Bad Faith


Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you endured in a great conflict full of suffering. Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated. You suffered along with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions. So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.
          You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. For, “In just a little while, he who is coming will come and will not delay.” And, “But my righteous one will live by faith. And I take no pleasure in the one who shrinks back.” But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved. (Hebrews 10:22-39)    

          We are coming to the heart of the matter. According to the commentaries, the Jewish Christians to whom this letter was written had been accustomed to a sort of acceptance by their community. The Romans and others didn’t agree with Jewish exclusivity (meaning that the Jews refused to behave like everyone else by giving tacit acknowledgment of all the gods) but “they’re the Jews.” The Christians were rocking the Roman world, not only refusing the tacitly acknowledge all the gods, but encouraging others to join them in their strange beliefs. And among those strange beliefs was the idea that the emperor was not the supreme ruler of the world.
          At first, the persecution might have been exciting. “Look at us, we’re being counter-cultural! We’re going to change the world, and Jesus is going to return for us any day!” But days dragged into weeks, and years, and, well, “What if we were wrong?”
          This is where my faith tends to weaken. It’s not that I lose heart as a Christian often. When that does happen, I tend to apply something of Pascal’s logic to things. If Christianity is wrong then I may not be rewarded for my life, except by the fact of having lived a good life – and that’s enough. But if Christianity is right and true, I will be rewarded and that will be better. Either way, there’s no real reason to turn from the path.
          No, it’s other areas of my life… the fear that my writing will get me nowhere, the slowness with which one loses weight, the fact that people won’t think outside their little boxes and yet demand that I think like them…. I’m not facing much persecution, really. Maybe a 0.25 on a scale of one to one hundred, but things aren’t going according to my plan. I should be a best-selling author by now (or at least have gotten some encouragement.) I should we at least a pound less than I do by now, and where are the muscles my weight-lifting should be building? And you’d think at least one person would realize that there’s more to the world than their little box . . .. At the very least, I should have more produce to take to the food pantry!
          Things aren’t going according to my plans. I realize my expectations aren’t realistic. They’re real, and the discomfort of not getting them is real, but not realistic. The point isn’t for me to get the things I want. The point is for me to become a stronger, wiser, more loving, more faithful person. The real goal isn’t for us to use the government to solve everyone’s problem. The real goal is for us to encourage and equip those who have problems to be better people – whether that involves their overcoming their problem or their overcoming its status as a problem.
          Tomorrow, we enter the hall of faith, so I’ll postpone discussing it at any length here, except to say that it, and becoming the person it causes us to become, is more important than the easing of our woes, trial, or petty difficulties (at whatever level you care to describe them.) Let me end, instead, with this idea. If we teach ourselves or others to have faith
in ourselves (themselves,)
n the outcome,
in the government
or in mankind,
we have failed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t