Skip to main content

Melchizedek II


 

          The Lord says to my lord: “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.” The Lord will extend your mighty scepter from Zion, saying, “Rule in the midst of your enemies!” Your troops will be willing on your day of battle. Arrayed in holy splendor, your young men will come to you like dew from the morning’s womb.  The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: “You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.” (Psalm 110:1-4)
          This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means “king of righteousness”; then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever. (Hebrews 7:1-3)
          While Jesus was teaching in the temple courts, he asked, “Why do the teachers of the law say that the Messiah is the son of David? 36 David himself, speaking by the Holy Spirit, declared: “‘The Lord said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.”’ David himself calls him ‘Lord.’ How then can he be his son?” (Mark 12:36-37)
                We are back to Melchizedek, and today, you’ll learn why I don’t think the author of Hebrews believed what the ancient commentaries said about Melchizedek being Shem – which is why I think it unlikely. Melchizedek is first mentioned in Genesis 14, when he comes out and feeds and blesses Abram, who then gives him a tenth of everything. He is next mentioned in Psalm 110, written by David (the first passage quoted above.) This is the passage on which both the earlier mention and today’s mention are based. It is also the basis for one of Jesus’ challenges to the Jewish religious establishment of His time on Earth. How can David, the greatest king of Israel ever, call someone else his lord? Certainly, he’s not referring to Saul. One of God’s problems with Saul was that he assumed priesthood. It was never granted to him. And David’s son, Solomon, as magnificent as he was, sacrificed to other gods and died like any other human, so he could not be either a priest of God nor be one forever. Just hyperbole? 
                Jesus didn’t seem to think so. His claim from Mark 12:36-37 was that whoever David was referring to had to be greater than David, be the son of David that God promised would reign forever and be a priest forever. No one could fill those shoes except eternal God living in human form, born of the line of David. 
                The author of Hebrews agrees. He builds the following parallels.
Melchizedek
Jesus
Name means: “King of Righteousness”
“Righteous” (I John 2:1, Acts 3:14, Acts 7:52) Jeremiah 23:5, Isaiah 53:11, II Timothy 4:8, Romans 3:5-23, I Peter 2:22-23)
King of Salem, which means “king of peace”
“King of the Jews” who ruled in and from Jeru-salem, Prince of Peace, Lord
Abram gave him a tenth
The Jews gave a tenth to the priests of the temple
Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God (This is why he could not be Shem. Shem’s parents were Noah and his wife.)
Jesus was known to be illegitimate – his human father was unknown.  He claimed that “before Abraham was, I am.” He died but rose again to eternal life.
Resembling the Son of God
Is the Son of God
No one know when his priesthood began or ended
His priesthood is without end.

               

               

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t