Skip to main content

The Kid In The Basket


           By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. By faith he kept the Passover and the application of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel. (Hebrews 11:24-28) 

          The kid in the basket grew up, surrounded by the best and brightest of Egypt. He wasn’t godless, as the Egyptians had many gods, but he would have had little exposure to the idea of God, beyond scoffing references to that part of the descendants of Israel who refused to sacrifice to the gods. What percentage of the Hebrew children worshipped God after four hundred years is anyone’s guess, but at least some did. No doubt, among those, at least some whispered the news that the four hundred years were almost up. Perhaps Pharaoh heard the rumor, and that was the reason for his edict to kill – to put down the hoped-for uprising. Sure, Moses was a Hebrew baby, but if he was raised in the Pharaoh’s household, as one of his own.
          It’s not clear to me from the account in Exodus whether Moses killed the Egyptian because the Egyptian was abusing a Hebrew or because the Egyptian was abusing a person. Not murder, but the defense of another. Not murder, but treason. He ran away for forty years. When he returned, it was not as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. When he returned, it was as a reluctant but committed Hebrew.
          I’m not sure when Moses was informed of a reward for his labor or exactly when he learned that there would be a prophet greater than he who would free the Jews forever. Ultimately, his reward was God. That is the great reward God offers all of us, but I wonder if another reward was the freedom of a people that Moses may have despised at times, but came to love. That Moses might have loved the Israelites amazes me as I think about their relationship with him.
          As for the prophet, Moses referred to him in Deuteronomy 18:15-18. That was near the end of his life. We’re still forty years before that. He returned to Egypt as a Hebrew and faced down the Pharaoh because he’d met God. And I find myself wondering if the reward
          When we meet God, things happen. We might not notice them, and they may not happen all at once, but you can’t meet God and remain the same. When Moses met God, he received a task he didn’t want and for which he declared himself ill-equipped. He went back to Egypt, not with an assurance that he would be sufficient, but that God would be. And when God told him to do something, he obeyed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t