Skip to main content

Wood Swords and Stone Temples


          It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away wi3’0th sin by the sacrifice of himself. Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him (Hebrews 9:23-28) 

          The story within The Game of Thrones and the rest of the Martin series focuses in part on a number of children and teenagers who are caught up in the struggle for dominance of Westeros. One of the things that Mr. Martin does correctly is deal with the weapons training of some of those youngsters. Only one-person (and he was one of the teens) hands any of them a sharpened, steel sword.
          I’m relearning to crochet. The next several projects are going to use a half-double crochet stitch. I’m doing the same stitch over, and over…and over, and I took my project apart at least four times. Similarly, when Tiger Woods was learning to play golf, the stories are that he hit thousands of golf balls to practice his swing.
          Another story is that those training to recognize counterfeit bills spend many hours becoming intimately knowledgeable about every aspect of real American money. When they’re done, the idea is that they’ll know the fake because they know the real.
          The Jews made millions of sacrifices. In the course of a single lifetime, a person might likely have participated in a hundred and fifty or more (if they obeyed the Law.)  With so much practice (if it was good practice, it they were paying attention and doing it right), they should have come to not only know how to do it, but to have considered the meaning and function of the process. They didn’t, but we can’t really blame them. We’ve been told the meaning and function and we often still don’t really get it.
          This is where faith comes in. I suspect I’ll get my half double crochet stitches wrong. I suspect Tiger Woods sometimes wondered if he’d ever master his nine-iron (or whatever.) As we remain faithful to the extent of our skills and knowledge, our skills and knowledge will grow, more slowly than we want, of course, but they will grow. And so, as we wait for Christ’s promised return, and practice our sacrifices (whatever He may call on us to sacrifice) and trust in His better sacrifice, our faith will grow.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the reminder that worship of God, involves personal sacrifice. Romans 12:1 in the NIV says: "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. " Worship is not what we "get" from God, but what we "give" to Him. For all eternity the redeemed of God will sing "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain", giving worship to the One who sacrificed all to us. I am not one of those people who says "every time the doors of the church are open you need to be there". But I do believe that the "practice" of worship on a regular basis is very important.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t