Skip to main content

Faith Is


Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. (Hebrews 11:1-2)

            I love these verses, but when people say that they are the definition of faith, I have to shake my head. Faith is assurance? OK, so what’s assurance? Faith is confidence? Of course it is, because
confidence is con fideo: “with faith.” And what is hope? Once again, put faith on the table. Give me something to measure - to examine. That’s what the author of Hebrews is going to do through the rest of the chapter. I keep coming back to these issues of definition.
          Hope is believing or holding onto the idea that something is going to happen… things are going to be a certain way, someone is going to arrive. It involves preparing for and watching for the desired outcome. We must use the word desired with some care. In general, it’s assumed that hope is toward a positive outcome. Sometimes, though, we hope for negative outcomes. We hope that person who irritated us is visited by karma – even if we don’t believe in karma. We do what people do when they hope but focus our attention on negative outcomes. Consider global warming. How could anyone want global warming? It’s silly to think anyone hopes for global warming. Putting aside those who want to say, “I told you so,” and those who see it as a means to power, I agree – people don’t want global warming, but they watch for it, prepare for it… they do all the things one does when one hopes. Dreading, warning others – they are a negative form of hope.
          Those for whom global warming is a focus might be tempted to say, “But we have evidence.” Yes, there is evidence, and they interpret it one way, and another person might interpret it another. One sees historical change in temperatures and blames man, while the other sees natural cycles. The man blamer would likely say that having evidence means there’s no faith involved. But is that accurate? 
          How many of those who believe in global warming have spent the last ten years recording and evaluating the various measurements that, put together, are said to indicate global warming? How many have done the statistical calculations? I suspect that fewer than twenty percent…probably fewer than one percent. The rest of us get a general sense from our memories but generally rely on the findings of the scientists who study the phenomenon. They ring the alarm bells, and many believe them. For this precise moment, it does not matter whether they are right or wrong. All that matters is that most of those who are concerned about global warning do not have or understand the scientific data. They do not have direct proof that the evidence available was accurately calculated or that it means what they think it means. They could be one hundred percent right, or one hundred percent wrong, or (more likely) somewhere in between, but they believe – meaning they have faith – in what the scientists have told them. 
          And the evidence? A good deal of it involves samples that have ben collected and analyzed. It’s not experimental. It’s not following the scientific method. It’s the collection of physical, historical samples. It’s the use of clues from the environment to piece together how things looked in history. Science, at least in this case, is a historical study more than the application of the scientific method. I’m criticizing in a literal sense, not pointing fingers. They could be correct in their interpretation of their findings, but the point is that those findings are historical and involve interpretation. It is less accurate than if a human had used a thermometer to measure the temperature. The evidence also includes the human use of a thermometer. That’s OK. That’s evidence. And so are the histories written down by the witnesses who were present during Jesus’ lifetime, and after His resurrection. A good scientist is careful about his evidence, evaluates his evidence, but has faith in his evidence. He uses it to draw his conclusions. He uses it to advance his view of reality. That’s what faith is. That’s what it does.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t