Skip to main content

God Is Love


         Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.(I John 4:7-12)

          The subject of God’s love came up yesterday. In a discussion of why God created angels and man, he said that love desires to share itself with others.[1] Some people think that God created man because God had no opportunity to love without man but God had the angels, and before the angels or man, He had the other members of the trinity. The love that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit have for one another is sufficient. God does not need us to love Him in order to feel loved.
          The problem is, it’s easy to love someone or something that is perfect. It’s easy to love someone or something that is like us, or that is us. Now, here we need to correctly divide two different senses of knowing. One may know something intellectually. You know touching a hot stove element is a bad idea even if you have never touched one. But if you have touched one, you really know it’s a bad idea. The latter is experiential knowledge. You can know that you can paint a portrait but knowing that you can isn’t the same as doing it.
           So God created something that was not Himself. Some may complain that He could have created something even better than He was. That’s a logical contradiction, but think of it this way – if He did create something that had even more of the attributes that He already loved in Himself, what challenges would there be in loving that entity? What He created in the angels were beings that were spiritual but limited: not omniscient, not omnipresent, not omnipotent. When He created man, He took the idea farther, giving man greater weaknesses (like a physical body) but giving him also the freedom to reject God.
          He created man with the plan in mind to give up Himself in demonstration of His love because anything less would not be a love worthy of Him. It would not be a perfect love. The greatest love is love for something unlovely, and incapable of loving back, not given so that you can pat yourself on the back and receive honor from others, but because it an expression of who you are. And while we naturally think in terms of God’s love for us, as spiritual beings trapped in a physical body. But God doesn’t stop there. As far as we know, animals are living physical things that lack the spiritual aspect. Plants take a step down from animals, and rocks lack even life. He created those, too, and there are glimpses of His love for them in Scripture (such as giving the land a sabbath rest.)
          God is love, and He demonstrates it in every level of His creation.



[1] Willard, Dallas. Life Without Lack (p. 34). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t