Skip to main content

If My People


          if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (II Chronicles 7:14)
                        A third of mankind was killed by the three plagues of fire, smoke, and sulfur that came out of their mouths. The power of the horses was in their mouths and in their tails; for their tails were like snakes, having heads with which they inflict injury. The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone, and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk. Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts. (Revelation 9:18-21)
          I really hope that through this crisis, many will be drawn to Christ and find salvation in Him. I would really love for Christians across this nation to humble themselves and pray, to seek His face and turn from their wicked ways. That would be a cause for rejoicing, and I hope it’s happening. I’ve heard some rumors that the virtual church services online have brought in more people to hear God’s word than usually attend the church in question. That is cause for rejoicing and I hope it’s not only happening but continues after lockdown has ended.
          I’ve read comments by people who hope that when lockdown ends, we can build a whole new world – a heaven on earth, a utopia in which what they imagine comes true. Yes, that’s a reference to the song that is an example of that world. They think it’s wonderful. I read the words and consider what is necessary to achieve it and I shudder at the horror.
          Crisis can and does lead to revival. (Yes, Lord! Bring revival!) but it also brings hardening and death. Our situation isn’t anywhere near as dire as the one described in Revelation 9. If that disaster were to strike today, within five months, 2.6 billion people would die. In a family of three, on average, one would die. Add four grandparents to the nuclear family, and two or three are buried. A neighborhood of 17 houses would result in at least 11 deaths in the course of five months. I imagine it along the lines of the Spanish Flu. Heavy sleepers go to bed with a healthy spouse and wake up with a corpse.
          The precedent has been set. Imagine the lockdown for five or six months. People like to talk about being “woke.” If anything was ever a wake-up call, the phone is ringing in this passage, and our situation now should make the ringing loud and clear.
          And yet, the passage tells us that those who will remain will not repent, will not change their ways. They will continue to worship their idols and the so-called heavens on earth that they promise. It’s not a cheering thought, but we must not fall into the same trap of magical thinking that they do, building up a false hope that when the crisis ends, people will have changed and the world will be ready to be made over in our image. We must not be surprised when people become more dedicated to their idols and imaginings. That’s not the way people are.
          If you’re in that mental quagmire, get out. God is still in control, not you. Things are going to get uglier, and uglier still. Humble yourself and let your neighbor deal with him/herself. Pray for yourself and your loved ones, but also for those in authority, even if you don’t like him/her. Seek His face, not just His hand. Turn from your wicked ways – away from anything that separates you from God, and to God. And He will heal your land. It might be your bedroom, apartment, 120*60 foot lot, neighborhood, city, county, state, or nation. We should hope for the nation, and be content with the bedroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t