Skip to main content

Guides Me Along The Right Paths


The Lord is My Shepherd…   he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. (Psalm 23:3)

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
                                      (Robert Frost)


           You know this psalm, so you know this verse. Have you thought about it. Again, there’s the “Ah yes, this is the life!” bit about his refreshing our souls and guiding along the right paths. But in the last verse, we were hanging out in green pastures and dipping our toes in quiet waters. Why do we have to leave? It’s like Peter on the mount of transfiguration. “Hey, Jesus, this is a good place for us to be. Let’s build a conference center and hotel!
           And there’s the whole Robert Frost thing about two roads. The broader, straighter path is so much more inviting.
           Oh, I’ve just stubbed my toe.
           Is that poison ivy?
          More importantly, what’s that I see up where the road curves? Lions? Tigers? And Bears? Oh my!
          No, Jesus, I really think we need to take the other path.
          On top of not wanting to go on any trail, and not being too sure about the trail chosen, have you ever thought about God’s motivation? He guides me along the right path because He loves me! That’s what we want it to say, and it’s true, but that’s not what the passage says. He does it so that I’ll reach my full potential! Well, that’s part of what it means that He loves you – if you define full potential in the same way He does. But that’s not what the passage says, either. It says He leads us along the right path for His names’ sake.
          For some, this will suggest that He leads us where He leads us to build His ego. It will look good on His resume. In some ways, this is closer to the truth, in spite of its deliberately negative spin. Consider some of the celebrities you’ve heard about. Some of them seem to go out of their way to make sure that they are seen. They call press conferences so they can donate one one-hundredth of what they make in a year to a charity, and we’re all supposed to say, “Oooo, ahhhhhhh. What a niiice person.” And then there are celebrities who interrupt their day to do something nice and walk away. Who was that masked man on the white horse?
          The latter type is closer to what is being described here. God’s names are representations of who He is. He does what He does, because that’s the kind of god He is, His name describes some part of who He is. Sometimes, that rubs the ego raw. It’s easy to pick up on one piece, or one part of who God is or miss another. For me in this case, it’s easy for me to pick up on God being loving. He guides us all along the right paths. It’s part of who He is and has nothing to do with me. He may as well be a robot or a machine because there’s nothing personal in it. But the reality is that God is also personal. He leads me along the right path because that’s the sort of God He is, but the sort of God He is is also intimate and immanent. We may emphasize characteristic A over all the others at one moment for some reason, but that doesn’t mean the others have gone away or never existed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t