Skip to main content

He Makes Me Lie Down In Green Pastures


The Lord is my shepherd… He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, (Psalm 23:1a & 2)

          Ah, peace, quiet, green pastures and still waters. This is the life! Yep, you gotta love a shepherd who provides such luxuries. But the passage doesn’t say provides. It says makes and leads. Now if we happen to want to go in the direction of those green pastures or quiet waters it’s in freedom that we follow Him there, but that’s not what it says, either. It says He makes and leads. So it doesn’t matter whether we want to go or not. If we do not go willingly, we go against our will.
          That’s where a lot of us are today. We don’t want to lie down in these pastures, whether they’re green or not. We don’t want to be beside quiet waters. We want to do what we want to do. Sure, the green pasture might be fun for a little while, but day after day?
           “It’s getting a little boring, Shepherd. Isn’t it time we moved on?”
          “You know, I really need to get back to the fold, there’s stuff I need to do.”
           We think we know better. We chafe at being hemmed in. But the Shepherd makes us lie down. He leads us beside quiet waters. And I (at least) grit my teeth at God or at the pain in my knee (Yes, I’ll say it’s the latter, it sounds more spiritual) as I once again hear the Shepherd saying “Lie down here. Bow the knee to My will.”
            One of the characters in my stories repeatedly asks another what he is trying to tell her without telling her this time, and what is he trying to tell her this time. It went into the story because that’s such a part of our lives with God. I often agree with God, I’m just not getting it. But it’d be so much easier if He explained (and got my approval) about it. This making me lie down, and leading me by another boring shoreline. I mean, it’s the same pasture and the same shoreline as yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that. Isn’t it time to stop circling this mountain and go conquer the Promised Land or something?
          But if we’re not willing to settle down, sometimes, He makes us. The Israelites didn’t give their land the rest that God commanded, so God removed them from the land for the length of time that they should have let the land rest. If we resist when He tells us to lie down in green pastures or walk beside the still waters, He may do something that takes away other possibilities. He may make us lie down. We’re free to do as He asks, but if we’d rather be made to do it as slaves, He may just give us what we want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t