Skip to main content

Every tear

           I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” (Rev 21:2-4)

If you listen to the political rhetoric that dominates our country at the moment, the last sentence contains the goal. “… will wipe every tear…no more death…mourning or crying in pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” It promises heaven on earth, just as we see at the end of the book of revelation, with one vital exception. God isn’t in it. Most assuredly, God is not in control of it. No, it is the government that will wipe every tear, end death, mourning, and pain by destroying the old order, which permitted, accepted, and even (sometimes) sought God.

Go back to the garden of Eden in Genesis 3. What did the serpent say? Eat of the fruit, and you’ll be like God. Forget about doing things God’s way. Do it yourself. Create heaven on earth with yourself as its master – not God. It’s the same old story with minor variations. Who needs God? We can do it ourselves. And…when the going gets rough, that’s a route we tend to like to take.

Historically, when people have tried to “help” God, or achieve “heaven on earth” by themselves, it hasn’t gone well. Think of the Tower of Babel, or Abram and Sarai, or Nebuchadnezzar, or the Anti-Christ. Think of Hitler’s slaughter of 30 million (6 million of which were Jews,) or Stalin’s slaughter of 40 million, or Mao’s slaughter of 60 million. All of that was in the name of some utopian vision in which every evil would disappear with the destruction of the old order of things.

We must look forward to Christ’s victory, but we must be patient. When we go off, trying to make it become a reality in our strength (and usually for our own glory) it is doomed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t