Skip to main content

Forget None of His Benefits

            Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (Psalm 103:1-5)

            The next piece of my homework involves the benefits listed in today’s passage. The first step, of course, is to list the benefits:

1)     Forgiveness of sins

2)     Healing of diseases

3)     Redemption of life from the pit

4)     Crowns with love

5)     Crowns with compassion

6)     Satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.


Next come the crucial questions. What causes us to forget them? How can we remind ourselves? The immediate answer that comes to mind is one I’ve ranted about many times. Pain, fear, anger, frustration, anxiety, and probably every other negative emotion tends to reduce the universe to the size of that emotion and its cause. If I hurt, all that matters is that hurt and making it go away. Consider the pandemic, with the number of people who were verbally assaulting people for not wearing masks – and felt completely justified. Some of those folks claim to be Christians.

I suspect that good times, wealth, power, fame, love, and other positives might lead us to forget the benefits as well. If we aren’t conscious of sin in our life, if we aren’t sick, if we aren’t in a pit, if we’re getting love (or at least attention) from somewhere else, if we don’t feel the need for compassion, or we are satisfied with good things, we may forget the source of all good things.

One key to remembering those benefits, then, would seem to be to avoid being either assaulted by negative emotions nor seduced by positive ones. At least, it would help if we were aware of our emotional state and recognized the effect it is likely to have. Knowing that I am angry, or in pain, or afraid and therefore not thinking straight and in need of extra measures of reminder would help. Too often, I may wander through mental bogs for a month before considering the fact that I’m depressed or otherwise emotionally lost and in need of reminders.

The better solution is probably habit. If you are in the habit of worship, confession, fellowship, Bible study and memorization, journaling, listening to worship music or good preachers, reading good books on spiritual matters, prayer, solitude, and whatever other spiritual disciplines you tend to practice, the practicing of them is likely to turn your focus Godward.

The last question in the homework is what one thing I (you) would like God's help with in relationship to these teachings, and one truth from it that I (you) are particularly thankful for. The easy answer to the first part of that for me is attitude! But the thing that I seem to struggle with is definitions. I read about people like David and it seems as though God talked to him, performed miracles on his behalf, etc., on a daily basis. And it seems to me that I don't hear from God for long periods - sometimes months. And God did such big things for David, but for me they seem small. But on what standard should I be judging these things? 

 As for the thing I am particularly thankful for, it's the exact same thing that I feel I am missing - God has directed me in the past. He's made it clear to me that He will continue to do so. I am grateful for that direction even if I'm not fond of the direction given. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...