Skip to main content

May the Lord Protect You

            But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. (II Thessalonians 3:3)

I tend to disagree with people when it comes to the subject of spiritual warfare. Some folks like to declare that Satan has attacked them. I suppose that in a general, vague way, they’re correct. He attacked Adam and Eve and that attack has produced the heartache of the word. He sends his minions out to attack people, and so it might be said that he is attacking them indirectly. But it seems to me that after his original attack on Adam and Eve, he could just as easily have sat back and never done another thing except play gin rummy with his minions, and we humans would do all that is necessary for us to destroy ourselves. Even if he and his minions are active  (and I believe they are,) I am simply not sufficiently influential to require much additional attention. The devil doesn’t have to make me do what I do. I do evil that I think up or desire, of my own free will, with no additional prodding.

This is not to say that there aren’t others who don’t face direct diabolical attention. Those who are spiritually influential get a lot of attention. Pastors, leaders, public speakers and even to some extent politicians and celebrities face more of the sort of spiritual warfare we tend to think of when we read today’s passage. I don’t think I’d even rate Wormwood’s apprentice. Why waste even inept manpower when it’s not needed?

This puts a different spin on today’s passage. This is what Pogo talked about when he said “We have met the enemy, and he is us.” Sometimes even I laugh at my constant prayer request of “Wisdom, direction, and ATTITUDE” but I’ve lived with myself for long enough that I know that I am the enemy God needs most to protect me from. Nor is this a pity party on my part. It’s not a particularly bad day, and I’m not depressed (or at least no more than usual.) It’s just facing the reality that I am quite capable of doing myself harm, especially in the area of attitude. So are you. So is everyone else.

And so, my prayer to you this Friday morning is that God will protect you from the evil one – and most especially from the evil one that is you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t