Skip to main content

God's Blessings

 

And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. (II Corinthians 9:8)

          This verse begins the homework for my Sunday School class this week, and I begin it with the same concept I faced last week. We all know that God is able, but are we willing to even try to believe that He is able and willing? While I’m not facing my most negative thought patterns today, I know that there are times when I am convinced that God is able and willing to do all this verse says, but when it comes to His doing to for me, well, I’d only ruin it if He did. I know I “shouldn’t think that way” but I do at times, so I’m going to approach it from that perspective as practice. Let’s make it tougher still. How can I believe that God is willing and able to bless me abundantly on a day of the week (Sunday) when I’m supposed to be resting and contemplating Him – not doing the “this, that, and the other” that are my habit. How can I receive God’s blessing when blessing, to me, tends to mean my doing something?

          The first thought that comes to mind given all these roadblocks and difficulties that I’ve put in the way is that God can and is willing to bless me abundantly anyway, because God’s blessing isn’t about me, it’s about Him. Even at my best, I don’t deserve His blessing, so His being able and willing to bless me isn’t indicative of my deserving. That’s hard on the ego.

          Equally hard on the ego is the idea that God is able to bless in such a way that my efforts to ruin them with my sinfulness, arrogance, or whatever it is that I think makes me so bad that God can’t possibly bless me amount to nothing. As a meme I’ve shared recently (and need to remind myself about daily) said, I’m simply not powerful enough, or clever enough, to mess up God’s plan for my life.

          But there’s a third issue that needs to be considered here. If I am not clever enough to mess up God’s plan for my life, chances are pretty good that I’m not clever or wise enough to recognize what is a blessing, and what is not. That’s not to say that we’re always wrong but sometimes what we want doesn’t turn out as well as what we didn’t. The pandemic is proof of that in my life, because it has brought many blessings.

          More on this verse and the homework tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t