Skip to main content

Danger!

            Dominion and awe belong to God; he establishes order in the heights of heaven. (Job 25:2)

Praise the Lord, all his works everywhere in his dominion. Praise the Lord, my soul. (Psalm 103:22)

He who is absolute in dominion; the mots pure, the most simple, the most spiritual of all essences; infinitely benevolent, beneficent, true and holy…

One of the questions asked in Life Without Lack is how many kingdoms there are in the world. The answer is that there are just a few short of 8 billion kingdoms. Most of them are tiny, consisting of one person as a citizen/monarch, and a few “migrant” workers – kings and queens of other kingdoms - who float from one kingdom to another, performing tasks like selling a loaf of bread, holding the door open, or taking their turn at a four-way-stop. Many may be in a constant state of war with others or with themselves. Sometimes, alliances are forges, and often, their treaties with one another are broken.

And that’s the problem. Sometimes our spheres of sovereignty are malleable. They flow through, over, and around the next person’s sphere without damaging or being damaged. Other times, they crash into one another, the immovable object meeting the irresistible force, or a soap bubble popping against the point of a pin.

And this is the problem when our kingdoms encounter God’s dominion as well. The only real hope we have for co-existence is to make a treaty with God that places our kingdoms under His authority. Even once we have done that, there will be times when our soap bubbles will burst, or we will find ourselves stymied. This is the problem. We don’t want to submit. We want to be submitted to, and that’s not how God works. Therefore, that’s not how the universe works. 

God’s in charge. He has dominion. Trying to reject or deny that is rather like a gnat going to war against a hurricane. It brings to mind a time when I walked past a salamander. It did it’s thrashing routine that is supposed to tell those who see it that it is a mighty Salt-water Croc. My thought was, “Oh really? How cute.”

And yet, when it comes to my dominion, all too often, I thrash like the salamander. Why? Because I want to be in charge. But even if I can set that aside, I thrash because I don’t believe that the big thing I’m trying to convince I’m important and dangerous actually cares about me. I don’t believe in God’s benevolence or beneficence. Oh, I may say I do, but I tend to have the same reaction no matter what authority figure comes along. Their approach sets off my Robby the Robot – “Danger! Danger Will Robinson.”

That’s OK. We should approach God with respect and proper fear. We should acknowledge His approach to us with respect and fear. The real issue is not whether we should feel fear, but whether our response to that fear should be courage and love, or cowardice, antagonism and hatred. We have to decide every time until we have build the habit, and then we have to decide about half the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t