Skip to main content

The Real Question

            Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. (Psalm 37:7)

Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city. (Proverbs 16:32)

Love is patient… (I Corinthians 13:4)

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience… (Galatian 5:22)

Yes, the subject is patience again, and I don’t know that I have the patience to face it. I started out this morning with the idea of fasting for the day. I did this one day last week and was pleasantly surprised at its comparative ease. At least, as I remember it, it was comparatively easy. This morning hasn’t been as easy. But as I walked the dog, one of the ideas that came to mind was delayed gratification. That’s not what I called it, but it’s the technical term. What I called it was that the answer to “I want to eat” is “You’re allowed to want to eat. That doesn’t mean you must eat.” Or, to return to an idea I wrote about several days ago, “I wanna… but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna.”

This is a key to patience. Patience requires desire or need. When we are being patient, desire or need may wax, or wane, or wax and wane. This is where we tend to focus. “But we wants it, my precious.” I want to eat. I want to redesign my vegetable garden for next year. I want my garden to produce so much food that I can feed myself, preserve some for future use, and give some to others. I want to have plants that feed and host butterflies, and enough butterflies to make the number of plants necessary. I want to know how to do things so that if I need to do them, I can. I want to try a bunch of different muffin and bread recipes, but don’t have the room to store 500 muffins or the time to eat them. I want my books to be written and to sell. I want it to be the 16th of July (or thereabouts) so I can release the Monarch that is pupating on my kitchen table. I want to be done reading Moby Dick and Bleak House but I don’t want to give up and walk away. I want to have read them. Similarly, I want to have lost about 90 lbs. I want God to miraculously answer every prayer request I give Him, and – if I have to learn to have patience, I want that to happen miraculously, too. None of this learning and building nonsense.

This is where we must return to the idea that spurred these thoughts about patience: God’s view of time and how it differs from ours. He has eternity. I have forty years (maybe.) In my mind, I have this summer…this month…this week…today… now!  So who is the one with the problem here? I am. And the solution, quite probably, is not to learn to tough it out longer, to live with the wanting and get stronger. The solution, quite probably, is to change my perspective – to live longer-term. I’m not saying that I should ask myself “Will it matter in eternity?” or “Will it matter in ten years?” I’m thinking more in terms of actually believing that what is an issue right now may resolve in 6 months, but if it’s not resolved until ten years into eternity, that’s OK, too. The question is – no matter how long it takes, am I going to trust God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t