Skip to main content

Playing Games

 Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him,

On those who wait for His faithfulness,
To rescue their soul from death
And to keep them alive in famine.

Our soul waits for the Lord;
He is our help and our shield.
 For our heart rejoices in Him,

Because we trust in His holy name.
Let Your favor, Lord, be upon us,
Just as we have waited for You. (Psalm 34:18-22)

 

Yesterday was a difficult day. In the middle of it, I took some time out to pray and meditate about one of God’s many names. Which one? That was the problem of the moment. There are a lot of names that might be useful. The problem is that God is God. I may ask that He be Jehovah-Rophi (The Lord, the Physician) and He might come to me as Jehovah-Shalom (The Lord, Our Peace.) So, my prayer became, “Who are you, Lord? Who do You wish to be in my life right now?”

And the answer that came back? I suppose you might say it was a sort of smile. I love words, and I love definitions, but one of the things that I’ve learned about definitions is that the limit the thing defined. God can’t be limited in that way, so, at least as it seemed to me, He said that He would not tell me, but that I should observe and try to guess.

And my mind, being my mind, returned, “Charades?” It’s not quite Charades, because God isn’t pantomiming. It’s not even His goal for me to guess, it is to do what He does, and if I wish, I can try to guess what it is He’s doing. This morning as I continue to think about the matter, it seems to me we’re also playing Hide and Go Seek. Again, it’s not that God is necessarily hiding, but that I need to seek Him as if He were hiding because my seeing Him – well, let’s just say that it’s closer to Blind Man’s Bluff.

This may all sound quite silly, but if taken seriously (as I hope) it’s likely to change the way I seek, see, and find God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...