Skip to main content

Bless You!

             May the Lord answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you. May he send you help from the sanctuary and grant you support from Zion. May he remember all your sacrifices and accept your burnt offerings.  May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. May we shout for joy over your victory and lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the Lord grant all your requests.

          Now this I know: The Lord gives victory to his anointed. He answers him from his heavenly sanctuary with the victorious power of his right hand. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm. Lord, give victory to the king! Answer us when we call! (Psalm 20)

 

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:24-26)

 

I have heard pastors give the second passage as a benediction. It’s nice to hear, a nice way to end a sermon and tell everyone that it’s time for them to go home. In some vague, thoughtless way, I think they actually meant it. You know, like “Have a nice day!” or “Hi, how are you?” as they walk away. Some might be offended that I thought so little of their sincerity, but to be honest, I suspect that most people don’t qualify for and wouldn’t know what to do with such concentrated attention from God.  It sounds nice.

And if we aren’t really ready for the blessing from Numbers, how much more so the blessing from Psalm 20. May the Lord grant all your requests? (Emphasis mine.) I can’t help but think things like, “All their requests? That’s dangerous,” and “All their requests? What about mine? When’s my turn?”

The blessings in the first half of Psalm 20 are a little more realistic: answers when they’re in distress, protection, help, and support, etc. But then we get back to “the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.” Who in their right mind would ask for such blessings for anyone?

The second paragraph gives us the answer. This blessing isn’t being asked for just anyone. It’s being asked on behalf of the Lord’s Anointed. The blessing in Numbers is given to God’s chosen people. And with the exception of Jesus, all of the Lord’s Anointeds failed and lost blessings. God’s chosen people were never His chosen people because they earned the title.

I think the language may be part of the reason I cringe when I think of blessing someone this way. It’s so big. It’s the sort of blessing only God could give, but it’s expansive. It’s like the ad in which a man draws a woman into a wide plaza and shouts, “I love you! I love you!” The woman draws close to the man and whispers, “I love you.” I’m more like the woman. I’m not even sure I want you to know that I’m asking for a blessing on you, let alone an extra special, big blessing.

But the sad reality is that this is my usual thinking. This is precisely the sort of thinking that I am trying to grow out of. So this is precisely the sort of prayer I need to learn to pray.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t