Skip to main content

Characteristics of Voice

 

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. (I Corinthians 2:14)

          It used to be that when parents wanted to summon their children in from outside, they stood at the door and shouted. Curiously, not every child who heard the shout responded. The biggest reason is that the summons was usually by name, but even if the names was missed by the hearers not everyone responded.

          Similarly, but even more to the point, all four of the neighbors whose property shares a boundary with mine have dogs. One is a yellow lab, one is a boxer, one is (I think) at least partly beagle, and one may be a Shih Tzu. Mine is a Shiba Inu.  So when I notice that a dog is barking, do I hurry to address the situation? No. Labs and boxers have big dog barks. The beagle-ish dog has a houndy bark. The Shih Tzu is a little yapper, and Grace doesn’t sound like any of them. I think I could even tell my previous Shiba from Grace. In my memory, Honey tended to say, “Rak, rak, rak.” Grace’s voice is more “awoo-woo-woo.”

In the eighth chapter of Hearing God, Dallas Willard asks how we recognize anyone’s voice. He notes first that there is a “quality of sound” involved. This deals a lot with tone and timbre but can also include quality. Big dogs tend to have big barks. Hounds have a sort of baying quality to their bark. Grace doesn’t howl, but there is a howl in her voice.

The second characteristic of voice, he says, is spirit. It may be “passionate or cold, whining or demanding, timid or confident, coaxing or commanding” (p. 174.)  He goes on to explain that God’s voice also has these qualities. He quotes E. Stanley Jones about the quality issue: “the voice of the subconscious argues with you, tries to convince you, but the inner voice of God does not argue does not try to convince you.” (pp 175-176.) He suggests that the characteristic Spirit of God’s voice is one of “exalted peacefulness and confidence, of joy, of sweet reasonableness and of goodwill.”  (p 177.) Jesus surprised His hearers because He spoke with authority so we can expect that His Spirit will also do so.

The third characteristic involves content. This requires prior experience with the person, but if someone were to hear “my voice” discussing polo or a rock concert, they would likely conclude that no matter how much it sounded like me, it was not. On the other hand, if one could have heard my brother’s voice talking about Tchaikovsky, or what can be gleaned from the eleventh chapter of Hebrews, that one could be sure that he was not the speaker.

The content expressed by one’s voice expresses one’s character. To recognize God’s voice we need to be acquainted with that character. But this is where we run into problems, because we sometimes take what Prof. Willard describes as “incidentals” as principles. This was the error made in the scene from West Wing that I’ve shared before. The president cited passages from the Law that the New Testament makes clear are not binding on Christians. Even in the Old Testament, the laws weren’t applied to foreigners unless that foreigner chose to become a Jew. Some of the laws in the Law are incidental to the Jews, and some of them are universal principles.

A second example is when Jesus told the rich, young ruler that the thing that he lacked was to sell all his goods and follow Jesus. If there is anywhere else in Scripture that makes such a demand on the rich, I have yet to find it. That was what the young man in question needed to do. It might be what you need to do. That doesn’t mean it’s what everyone needs to do. God’s voice will never violate the principles shared in God’s Word.

I’ve shared my fourth principle for recognizing God’s voice. If my immediate response is “no, no, no,” it’s likely that the idea is not mine. To this, Dallas Willard adds the sage advice: don’t presume you’re going to get it right all the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t