Skip to main content

You Will Answer Me

             I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; turn your ear to me and hear my prayer. Show me the wonders of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes. Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings from the wicked who are out to destroy me, from my mortal enemies who surround me. (Psalm 17: 6-9) 

These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised (Hebrews 11:39)

 

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter.  If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” (Daniel 3:16-18)

 

I wish I could sing this psalm, but David’s being pretty over-the-top bold. There are other Psalms when he makes it clear that God hadn’t answered. So given the past, is he being overly optimistic in claiming that God will answer him now? This is where I run into problems. I know people claim that God always answers prayer. It might be “yes,” or it might be “no,” or it might be “wait,” but He always answers. And I know it’s possible that He answers, and I don’t hear or understand the answer.

But then I read the verse from Hebrews 11:39, and I know that God might not answer me during my lifetime, and Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego are commended because they declared that whether God protected them from the fire or not, they would not turn from Him.

So when it comes this psalm-writer’s confidence about God answering him, I can relate to the request. I want to be more in tune with God, to see the wonders of His great love, to hear His still, small voice, to recognize His provisions, to feel protected… All of those would be, have been, and shall be desired and enjoyed. Because I have seen, heard, recognized, and felt in the past even if I don’t right now, and I fully expect that I will see, hear, recognize and feel in the future even if I don’t right now. That doesn’t make it necessarily easier to go through the times when God doesn’t appear to be there and doesn’t appear to be doing anything.

The problem is, I don’t have patience. At least, I don’t have the sort of patience of the folks described in the verse in Hebrews. And I don’t have the sharply defined circumstances of the men in Daniel. They knew their answer would arrive in a specific time period. Things were well defined for them. And perhaps that’s closer to what the psalmist is describing. Maybe there was a specific, clear situation – a real crisis. In my life, it seems as though most of my crises are self-inflicted and probably imaginary.

The other issue that needs to be considered is God’s goal in His answers. If His goal is His glory and our benefit (Yes, I’m considering those to be basically the same thing seen from different perspectives) then how often does He need to not answer, to strengthen and mature us by not treating us as infants?

I feel like I’m back to the same old, same old. Whine… “God’s not talking to me the way I want. He’s not doing what I want. He never listens to me. He must not love me, etc.” But I also know the truth, that even when I don’t get what I want… even when I don’t hear or see an answer, God is still good. He still loves me. He has promised to guide me and protect me, and so far – even if I don’t notice – He has done so.  That means that the psalmist is right, and I’m the one who needs to change her tune. He will answer me, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t