Skip to main content

Still On His Throne

           In the Lord I take refuge. How then can you say to me: “Flee like a bird to your mountain. For look, the wicked bend their bows; they set their arrows against the strings to shoot from the shadows at the upright in heart. When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?”

          The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord is on his heavenly throne. He observes everyone on earth; his eyes examine them. The Lord examines the righteous, but the wicked, those who love violence, he hates with a passion. On the wicked he will rain fiery coals and burning sulfur; a scorching wind will be their lot. For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; the upright will see his face. (Psalm 11)

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (I Peter 5:8)

the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say (Revelation 4:10)

 

          If there was ever a psalm written for our time, this is it. We hear the claim the psalmist asks about from three sources. Some tell us to flee because they are afraid. Some tell us to flee because they want to hunt us down or enjoy tormenting us. And some, like me, don’t so much say to flee as to notice that the wicked bend their bows because we need to be alert and of sober mind, and recognize we have enemies.

          Then, there are those who rightly point out the second half of the psalm. God is in His holy temple. He is on His heavenly throne. His eyes do examine all of us, etc. Both messages are necessary. As Robert Browning put it in Pippa’s song, “God’s in His heaven-- All’s right with the world!” And those of us who believe our vision clearer wonder how they can claim such things.

          The answer is that both claims are true. There are wicked people out there – some more wicked than we, but not all. And no matter how wicked people get, ultimately, God is still righteous, still omnipresent, still omnipotent, still omniscient, still loving, compassionate, graceful, forgiving, just, and in His haven. Even if the wicked put us in prison and do all manner of unspeakable evil to us; even when the foundations seem to be being shaken… God.

          Saying that doesn’t involve pretending that the wickedness doesn’t exist, or that the pain it brings doesn’t hurt. But the hurt is temporary. It will be healed. God will reward us for times we thought we lost but we actually won with Him, and we will lay our crowns before His throne.

Others may ask, “Aren’t you the one who …?”

And we’ll answer, “Oh no, God is the One who…” but He did it for us, in us, or through us.  Here and now, we may not see how it can be all right. We can’t see how the wicked can seem to prosper, but their prosperity is temporary and in the meanwhile, God’s still on His throne.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t