Skip to main content

Be Strong...

                 No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.

 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:5-9)

There’s an old saying about when God says something once… when God says something twice…when God says something three times… I don’t remember how it goes, except that it escalates. The more times He says it, the faster, bigger, better your response should be. In these five verses, God tells Joshua to be strong and courageous three times. I could play with the idea and suggest that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit each took a turn, but the key point is that God majorly stressed to the point of over-the-top how important it was for Joshua to be strong and courageous.

It reminds me of a scene from The Empire Strikes back. Han tells C3P0 to do something. As the robot turns to obey, Han interrupts him with another instruction. As C3P0 turns again, Han grabs his shoulder and either gives another instruction or asks why he isn’t doing what he was told. It also reminds me of the old Columbo show, “Oh, just one more thing.” But it’s the same thing over and over.

This might make sense if we were talking about Gideon, who was so afraid of the Midianites that he ground grain in a winepress. It might make sense if we were talking about timid Timothy, but this is Joshua. He was one of Moses’ right-hand-men for forty years. He was the commander of the Hebrew army.

But, things had changed. Moses was dead. Joshua had seen how badly the Israelites had treated Moses. Leading a long-term military campaign isn’t the same as responding to threats when they show up. Yes, he was a trained, battle-hardened soldier, but I am also trained, by God, by life, by formal educational systems. I’ve worked in government, in administration, in retail, and as a gardener/helper. I’ve been traveling back and forth from Erie to Florida for 7 years. But every March and every September, I face a change in circumstances. Forget about those big changes. I’ve told people for years that if my schedule gets interrupted, I have to start over from scratch, to rebuild my life completely.

Last night and this morning, I’m dealing with some of that. And I’m trying to be strong and courageous. I’m reminding myself that the changes that will take place in the next month aren’t threats. I’ve done them before. God is still God. God is still good. My computer generates my task list so I don’t have to worry that I’ll forget things.

It doesn’t take being a world leader to need to be told to be strong and courageous. It just takes living. And I suspect that at least part of Joshua’s problem – or at least mine – was that he had a few minutes to look at the situation without being able to do anything about it.

So, what changes and challenges are you facing? What do you need to be told to be strong and courageous about? Well, be strong and courageous.

Be strong and courageous

Be strong and courageous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t