Skip to main content

Used For His Glory

            Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear. (Philippians 1:12-14)

There’s a story about a man to whom a number of bad things happened, and each time, his neighbors commiserated with him. How terrible that this should happen. I don’t remember all the details, but one of the calamities was that his son broke his leg. And as a result (as I recall) when the army showed up, they didn’t take the son away as a soldier.

There are probably many versions of this story out there. You probably have yours. It was terrible when each of my parents died, but each time, I have grown stronger as a person. When my position at the courthouse was eliminated, it was terrible, but I learned I could survive losing a job.

I’m tempted to say that I have no examples of things happening to that have advanced the gospel or the Kingdom. I certainly haven’t been someone that others would suggest for Sainthood in the Catholic church (even if I were Catholic.) At least, not that I noticed. And that’s a good thing. My ego is overblown enough without thinking myself a champion.

But look at what happened with Jesus and Paul. Read Hebrews 11. Lots of bad stuff has happened to people, and it came together for the glory of God, even if they didn’t get what they wanted. That means that I don’t have the wisdom, or the perspective to proclaim myself a failure, no matter how tempting it might be. Things I don’t notice or that I think of little value may be huge in God’s economy. Things I think are necessary for spiritual “greatness” might be nothing from God’s point of view. But maybe, just maybe, God does and will use me for His glory, whether I notice or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...