Skip to main content

Fruit

             But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23)

 

This is another of those pesky verses that get quoted too often. I’ve referred to it recently without going into depth, so when it came up as the verse of the day, I had to sigh. But, as I said when I referred to it – what if? What would we look like if we actually had those in our lives?

What if we wanted what is best for each person we encounter?

What if we truly believed that God will meet our needs?

What if we stopped fighting with God, and to the extent possible, with other people?

What if we put up with the things we encounter, even though it’s hard?

What if we loaned others our strength?

What if we did what we know to be right and useful?

What if we kept our words?

What if we didn’t use any more strength and power than we needed to (which might be quite a bit less than we think we need to.) What if we didn’t impose our wills on others?

What if we learned not to figuratively dirty our (internal) diapers and how to respond properly to accidents?

All of that sounds good, though chances are good that we don’t want to learn them. People say we should never pray for patience, because we’ll get it – because everything will go wrong. The same is true of the other things.

If we pray for love, we’ll be called on to love the unlovable.

If we pray for joy, we’ll face needs, because we can’t learn that God will provide unless there’s something that is needed.

If we pray for patience, we’ll encounter God and others not doing what we want.

If we pray for kindness, we’ll find people “needing” us.

If we pray for goodness, we’ll have to reject what is less than good – and chances are that we like the less than good.

If we pray for faithfulness, we’ll be seduced.

If we pray for gentleness, we’ll find ourselves in situations where we want to be stronger.

If we pray for self-control, we’ll be seduced.

But there’s a bigger thought here. These things aren’t the source or cause. They’re the fruit. They occur naturally only as a result of the Spirit being in our lives. I used to pray my way through the park, asking for one household to be blessed with love, the next with joy, etc.  I don’t there’s anything wrong (wicked) about doing that, but I wonder if it would have been more correct to have prayed for the Spirit to move in each trailer/RV/mobile home. And when it came to my home, or me, I wasn’t so good at praying. It felt a little selfish. It wasn’t. It was necessary. And I neglected it. I think God knew what I was really asking in regard to the others, and He didn’t let me negligence stop Him from working in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t