Skip to main content

Crowns

             Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. (James 1:12)

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.  (John 17:3)

          Today’s Biblegateway.com verse harkens back to Monday’s passage and the discussion of the condition of being blessed as not being magical. I suspect that it’s not that God sprinkles blessings down on people after they’ve persevered under trial or somehow proven that they love Him. Rather, it’s that those who love Him already have the crown of life. That’s what the verses in John make clear.

          The trials under which we must persevere aren’t to earn God’s blessing of eternal life. They are a consequence of having the blessing of eternal life, and ultimately, they reveal the nature of that eternal life. And just as building and maintaining endurance is part of being physically healthy, so building and maintaining endurance is part of being spiritually healthy. The problem we often perceive is that building muscle requires that we go beyond what we thought we could.

Building endurance is the same. We may pat ourselves on the back for enduring something in a way we think is well, but if we don’t keep enduring it, or enduring more, we’re likely to lose the endurance for which we’ve patted ourselves on the back. I used to run 6.5 miles per day, five days a week. Then I walked it. Now I can’t walk it. I used to endure the discipline that got my weight down to healthy levels. Now I can’t seem to endure the discipline to lose ten pounds. The same happens spiritually. What we don’t use, we lose.

Something else comes to mind with this passage: the crown. It might be a literal spiritual crown of some sort, but I suspect that the crown is life itself. I’ve never worn a crown, but I’ve worn headbands, hats, scarves, facemasks, and earphones. I suspect I fidget with them more than I realize. For that matter, I fidget with my hair, especially if it’s not in a bun or ponytail. I can only imagine that if I were given a crown and told to wear it, I’d fidget with it, put it on, take it off, and possibly even find it irritating. Can you get a crown blister? I suspect so. And wearing a crown tends to mean having to behave properly. At first, at least, we’re likely to be very conscious of it. After a few months, it’s old hat and we’re likely to even neglect to care for it or to reach the conclusion that it’s not a very nice crown.

But what we may decide is no better than a piece of ribbon tied around our heads may become dear to us. We may find ourselves enduring for the sake of the crown. Someday, we may take a look in the mirror and rediscover just how beautiful it is (or perhaps that it has become.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t