Skip to main content

Not Measuring Up

 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. (II Corinthians 1:3-4)


Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. (Matthew 18:22)  (the note on this verse says  “or seventy times seven times.”)

Compassion. We seem to follow a couple of trends when it comes to compassion. One is that no one can possibly understand how I feel, the depth of the pain. Usually, this claim deals with anyone who hasn’t suffered the exact same thing. If you haven’t suffered from chronic illness, or mental illness, or the loss of some specific relationship, or whatever,  you can’t possibly relate to – or comfort someone who has one of those.

Another is that if you are suffering, or if someone who is suffering has your sympathy for some reason, then no one else’s suffering compares. There’s a meme going around now that basically kicks anyone to the curb who is facing a struggle or an unpleasant situation that isn’t on the level of those who are suffering in Ukraine. In the past, it’s been the soldiers in the Middle East, and (an old favorite) the starving children in Biafra, or India. This reminds me of Mrs. Jellyby from Bleak House, who works tirelessly on behalf of the people of an African nation, to the extent that – if she lived today, her children would be removed by Child Services because of neglect. No suffering on their part is the least concern, so long as something is done to help those people halfway around the world.

And the Ukrainians, soldiers, Biafrans, Indians, Haitians, and others do deserve our compassion. I find nothing in Scripture that suggests we shouldn’t show compassion, and even give more than is convenient, but the flip side of the situation is that if you aren’t the one suffering, or if the person suffering doesn’t happen to have your sympathy for some reason, then unless the sufferer measures up in the quantity of suffering – unless they can prove that their suffering is actually worse than the Ukrainians, soldiers, Biafrans, Indians, Haitians, etc., then they should be ashamed of saying a word about any problem they might be having.

Well, I’m sorry if my level of suffering (or someone else’s) doesn’t measure up to the loft bar that you’ve set as your minimum qualification for compassion, but that’s not how Scripture tells us it’s supposed to work. We are supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves. As today’s passage points out, our experience of suffering and struggle is supposed to prepare us to show sympathy to those in any trouble – not just to those who can put enough checkmarks on your evaluation chart.

As if requiring people to compete for compassion isn’t bad enough, there’s an uglier side. If you don’t measure up, you should be ashamed of having said a word. You’re guilty of narcissism because you think you matter more than all those poor people who really deserve our compassion. And the truth of the matter is, the person who guilts the sufferer who doesn’t measure up doesn’t actually have to do anything for those suffering in Ukraine (or wherever.) All they have to do is point to their suffering, and not only do they not have to do a thing about the suffering in Ukraine, but they also don’t have to do anything to help the person in front of them who is struggling.  It’s a “Get out of Compassion Free” card. All it takes is accusing them before God of being unworthy.

Now, I’ll grant that some of the suffering and struggles that people face is small potatoes. It’s a weight that you or I might be able to lift with a broken pinky finger on a bad day. That doesn’t mean it’s not a problem for them. Love requires that we help them and show them compassion – without neglecting the Ukrainians. And if we think they’re guilty of being petty, we’re supposed to forgive them, not seven times, but seventy times seven times.

I’m not saying there is no point at which we have to show tough love, but I have to wonder if one of the reasons we suffer is that we haven’t learned to show compassion to others who are suffering. We’re too busy judging them, and perhaps even sadder than that is the fact that we don't realize how hateful we're being. We actually "mean well."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t