Skip to main content

Put Them Aside

              But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. (Colossians 3:8) 

There, but for the grace of God, go I. (attributed to John Bradford) 

            But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, … (Matthew 23:13,14, 15, 23, 25, 27, 29)And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves. (Matthew 21:12) 

Some people will tell you that if you raise your voice or speak tones that aren’t “sweetness and light” that you’re a bad Christian. Other people justify their anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech based on Jesus’ rebukes of the pharisees and His clearing the temple. How do we balance verses like Colossians 3:8 with what we see Jesus do in the Gospels?

The first step is to examine the Gospels. There are instances in which Jesus speaks sharply and takes what might be called “drastic action.” But they are not moment-by-moment realities for Him. There is no indication that any of them guided or controlled His life.

Having used anger as a source of energy and focus for years, I assure you that anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech are great tools. You feel alive, awake, in control, powerful, and superior. In other words, you feel “like the Most High.” There are, of course, three problems. The first is that you aren’t the Most High and trying to usurp His position involves separating you from Him. The second is that they tend to separate you from people.  The third is that they are like a drug, both addictive and poisonous to the body. This means that in a very real sense, those things we’re supposed to put aside are evidence of hatred of God, other people, and yourself.

There’s another thing about the list. Anger and wrath are internal, emotional things. Malice is the intent to do evil. It’s still internal, but the will has joined in. Slander and abusive speech are the actions that result from anger, wrath, and malice. So while there are justifiable reasons for anger, the key is to stop the process at anger and not continue down the trail.

One other lesson from Jesus driving the merchants from the temple. He’s God. He could have caused the people in the Temple to die in agony. He could have destroyed the temple. What He did was probably the minimum level of action needed to accomplish his goal. There was no mistaking that He was zealous for the temple, but I suspect if one of the merchants came to Him later that day, Jesus would have forgiven and accepted him. What we see in Scripture is that anger, and the things that flow from it, weren’t the fuel on which Jesus operated and were not the norm for Him. He was able to put it aside. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t