Skip to main content

A Different Sort of River Illustration

 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete. (II Corinthians 10:4-6)

 

In chapter 6 of Renovation of the Heart, Prof. Willard starts talking about warfare. He doesn’t describe it as such, but he describes ideas and images as being the problems, and information and thinking as being solutions. This brings to mind self-talk and the discovery of repetition creates new neural pathways in the brain. And that brings to mind Newton’s Second Law, that an object in motion continues in the same direction at the same speed unless acted on by another force. We cannot get rid of, change, or move bad ideas or images without the use of mental force.

I’ve written before about the thought experiment of trying to swim upriver, across a river, or down river. In each instance, the swimmer is fighting against the current in some way. Usually, I use this illustration to describe peace. This time, think of the current as being ideas and images. We tend to float along with them. Even when we do try to fight the current, it’s like trying to row a canoe with a fly swatter. Information gives us a bigger paddle.

But there are two images that come to mind. The first is from The Lord of the Rings and (I believe) from The Little Mermaid. If there are two people paddling the canoe and they’re facing each other, the canoe isn’t likely to go anywhere except where the current takes it. If you’re going to have someone in your canoe, make sure you’re paddling in the same direction. I also know from experience that one needs to paddle on the left side, and the other on the right. The other image that comes to mind is from my own experience. I was alone in a 16-foot canoe, and in the back – which means the wind got into the act, pushing the bow in directions I didn’t want. I finally made it to shore by back paddling.

The application I take from both these is that God is the best other person to have in the canoe with you, but at the very least, have someone who is headed in the same direction and has a clue what he/she is doing because their added weight at the other end of the canoe, and added strength and skill is a great help. You still may have to work hard to get your mind to overcome the ideas and images that have been dragging you where you don’t want to go, but it is easier than when you’re alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t