Skip to main content

Cute Wisdom

                     The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. (Proverbs 4:7)

It’s a double whammy. I’ve started reading The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard, and my Sunday School class is reading Renovation of the Heart by the same author. I’m sensitive to the possibility that I might head in the direction of the Corinthians: “I’m of Willard,” but he does make me think. In the first chapter of The Divine Conspiracy, he mentions a lot of the recent and current ideas (keeping in mind that the book was published in 1998) about what he calls “Cute Wisdom.” This is what he calls such ideas as “Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty” and “All I really needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten.”  He admits that they contain a tiny morsel of wisdom (p. 10) but if you tried to live according to those teachings, you’d be in trouble.

Instead, he suggests that we should say, “I don’t know what I need to know and must now devote my full attention and strength to finding out” and “Practice routinely purposeful kindnesses and intelligent acts of beauty” (p. 10) I’ll admit, if you aren’t practicing any sort of kindness or beauty, random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty are a step forward, but too often, the practitioners stop there. Opening the door for one person out of every 30 or 50 that you meet might be a random act of kindness but opening the door for half of them is kinder and opening the door for all of them is kinder still. Why should be satisfied with effectively rolling the dice and performing an act of kindness if they come up snake eyes? It’s a place to begin, perhaps, but not a place to remain.

Professor Willard points to the passage above as an alternative to the idea of having learned all we need to know in kindergarten. While he didn’t describe it this way, that idea seems a little like saying that all I needed to know about basketball, I learned by dribbling the ball. I could become a world-champion dribbler, but if I can’t shoot, dunk, or catch, I’m not going to make the team. Or, worse, if I learn how to dribble, but only do so about once a year, while standing still, I’m not going to even be proficient at that.

The first step in gaining wisdom is to get wisdom. That may sound a little silly, but the point is that in order to get wisdom, you have to make the effort to get wisdom. I know this example is lamer than the basketball illustration, but I thought I brought several pair of scissors home, and I can’t find any. I need to get scissors. That’s not going to happen while I’m sitting at home reading a novel.  I could spend lots of money having them shipped to me, but even to do that, I must go online, find a pair I want, and order them. That’s still “getting.” Hoping that they will simply arrive at my door without any action on my part isn’t getting.

We can’t get wisdom without putting forth an effort. We should be wary of seeking wisdom where everyone else seeks it – especially if they describe it as “Easy.”  There is always a cost to getting anything, especially the things most worth having.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t