Skip to main content

Ruling

             God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” (Genesis 1:28)

Our very being still assign us to “rule” in our life circumstances, whatever they may be. If animals are in trouble anywhere, for example, people generally feel they should do something about it -- or at least that someone should. And we still experience ourselves as creative will, as someone who accomplishes things, constantly desiring to generate value, or what is good, from ourselves and from our environment. We are perhaps all too ready, given our distorted vision and will, to take charge of the earth. (Dallas Willard The Divine Conspiracy, p 30)

One of the things that The Divine Conspiracy has been showing me is that I’m normal. I’m the way people are designed to be. Oh, I’m a distortion in the details, but when I complain to God (and everyone else) that I feel out of control, and that I can’t get a grip, that’s not because I’m evil. It’s a recognition that I am supposed to be ruling, not spinning out of control. When I feel the need to accomplish, to do, to make, to create, it’s a recognition that I’m supposed to be doing those things. That doesn’t mean I go about them correctly. It doesn’t mean that my ego doesn’t get in the way. It doesn’t mean that I’m trying to usurp God’s throne – I might be, but I might also just be responding to the echoes of what I was created to be.

Which is little more than a variation on the cute wisdom of “Don’t should on yourself.” It’s “Don’t shouldn’t on yourself.” There are times when we should should, or should shouldn’t – but I’ve tended (or been encouraged) to believe that if I try to get control, to fix, to rule, to do – or feel the need to do any of those things, that somehow, it’s automatically something for which I should be punished. How dare I extend my rule even over myself? But what Prof. Willard suggests is that Genesis 1:28 tells us that we are supposed to rule over the animals. He goes further to suggest that we are intended to be creative.

Granted, I think sometimes I get more wound up about the need to do these things than I do about the actual doing of them. That’s where the shoulding and shouldn’ting comes in. I seem to think I need to gain approval each step of the way. The ego isn’t as dead as I’d like it to be.

Now, as to the distorted side of all of this. I watched a video series some time ago about dealing with poverty. One of the big ideas the series presented was that we tend to rush into “helping.” A church heard about poor people in East Africa, and shipped tons of clothing to help them – and destroyed the textile industry in East Africa. Another group heard about hunger in south Asia, and sent lots and lots of eggs, which put farmers out of business. I’ve been guilty, too – I arranged to send clothing to victims of Hurricane Katrina – when clothing wasn’t really what was needed. We want to HELP. Do something! Anything!

Sometimes, our helping meets our need to help more than it needs their need to be helped. This is a report I’m hearing about people raising Monarchs. They’re trying to help, but what some may be doing is spreading a disease that is helping to destroy the Monarch population. Good rulership isn’t about helping. It’s about acting in the best interest of the ruled. Good helping requires wisdom.

Lots more thinking, and some changes of habits are needed here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t