Skip to main content

Hope, Power, and Riches

         I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength. (Ephesians 1:17-19 NIV)

 

I only made it about a third of the way through this passage yesterday. I didn’t finish with the note that the whole purpose of our receiving the Spirit of wisdom and revelation is to know Him better. But, moving on from there. Paul’s next request on behalf of the Ephesians (and us) was that the eyes of their/our hearts may be enlightened in order that we may know hope, riches, and power.

The hope, riches, and power that Paul describes aren’t what we usually think. Often, I suspect our thoughts about these topics is selfish. I can’t really blame people. I like to hope for things that I want to happen. I would like to have enough money that I didn’t feel as if I have to punish myself for every expense. I would like to have the power to do what I want to do.

I wrote a little about hope as my Wordy Wednesday post, but it bears repeating here. I’m in a “Hurry up! Not yet!” time. There’s so much I want to get done, but it’s too cold, it’s too early, it’s too…  Or I’m too afraid, too lazy, too uneducated, too weak, too old, too poor, too powerless, too … But I know that this is that time of year, just before it becomes possible or is the right time. I know that the time is coming when I will be able to do, and to learn and so I can hope.

Just as people tend to think of hope as something pie-in-the-sky, people tend to misunderstand power. Our automatic response is that power means power over or control of someone or something else. There’s a sense in which that is true, but power also refers not only to authority but to ability, knowledge, skill (etc.) During this time, I can prepare, make decisions, and get things ready, so that when the time comes there is nothing in the way.

Riches are equally a problem. We tend to think of riches as having more than we can possibly use (and I can find ways to use a lot!) and we’re usually talking about money. But my hope is that I will have a big enough harvest that I can use it (as power) to do good in my own life and in the lives of others. Riches are, in a sense, just another form of power- the power to do good or evil. I hope I choose to do good, and have the opportunity to do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t