Skip to main content

Hard Man?

             Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money. (Matthew 25:14-18)

You know the rest of the story. How would you describe the king? The third servant does so this way: “Master, I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.” (Matthew 25:24-25)

I have to admit, there’s at least a little third servant in me. First, there are the comparisons – both positive and negative. I’m sometimes jealous of those who have been given such ability, so much opportunity. They’re ten times the person I am. Why should I bother with even trying? And sometimes, I am grateful that I have been given so little – because then when I fail, it doesn’t matter as much. And no matter what, God’s going to be disappointed because He’s a “hard man.”

It's easy to fall into these two traps. As you read, where does your mind focus? On the bags/gold/talents? On the servants? On the man? I tend to skim through “each according to his ability.” It’s not about the servants, it’s about a greedy man delegating the responsibility for getting more money. But what if it’s not that? What if it’s about the man giving three servants/students an opportunity to work with him.

What if the whole thing is about cooperation? There’s no indication that the man hired/bought the servants ten seconds before he handed them money and left. The third servant had his impressions about what the man was like. So he trained them before the story begins. The man doesn’t command the servants to generate money out of the air. He gives them money – potentially a lot of money (how big were the bags?) He gives them time without breathing down their necks and micromanaging every step of the way.

In The Divine Conspiracy, Prof. Willard wrote of Frank Laubach (missionary, literacy advocate, statesman) starting an experiment in which he turned his mind to Christ for one second out of each minute and learned how to work in cooperation with a cooperative Creator. My mind sets off a red alert at this idea – do I have a timer go off every minute of the day? How can one in one second turn one’s mind to Christ? I can’t! I can’t! God’s a “hard man” to expect such!

Have I tried? Um – no. Is this a command? No. Could I set a timer once per hour, or whenever I heat up a cup of tea or coffee and spend a minute focusing on God? Maybe. More importantly, could I focus on God as something other than the “hard man” who focuses solely on how much profit He gains, or how miserably I fail? Could I choose to think of Him as cooperative? Maybe. Can I at least be open to working cooperatively with Him? Or am I too interested in point out all the ways that He has either not done what I wanted, or I have not done what I think He wanted (or what I wanted)?

Could I at least start catching and casting my cares on Him instead of fussing about them for ten minutes…hours…days…months before I think of talking to Him about them? Can I be half as cooperative as I’d like Him to be?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t