Skip to main content

Doing

 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (James 1:22) 

          I sometimes get the impression that people who go to church are supposed to be perfect. If you listen to folks who stopped going to church, a common chorus is, “The church is full of hypocrites.” The idea seems to be that if one doesn’t become perfect when one becomes a Christian, either that one is not a Christian, or Christianity is a lie.

          Of course, that is not the experience of the Christian. When Dallas Willard describes the Church as a hospital, he doesn’t express a new idea. In fact, one doesn’t generally get a real idea of how sick one is until one has been in a church for quite a long time. Just as when one gets married, there’s a honeymoon period. For some, it’s shorter or longer, but eventually, people notice your flaws and you notice theirs.

          And then there’s the reality that God generally does not sweep the sin nature out of our lives the instant we become Christians. Sometimes, He may do so, but in general, it’s a long battle. One of the reasons for this is that human beings are not really simple. Even Freud understood this, and wrote of the conscious, and the unconscious. He or other psychiatrists wrote of the Ego, the Superego, and the Id.

          The ideas these psychiatrists may not be accurate, but they reflect a reality that we encounter at the end of every year (or the beginning of the next.) “I resolve to…” and four days, four weeks, or four months later, those resolutions tend to be forgotten. Some part of us resists the change that our wills have announced.

          Our bodies are hungry or tired. Our emotions are exhausted and we deserve a pick-me-up or a slide-into-comfort. Isn’t that self-care? Our minds won’t focus. How many times have we said we’re not going to do something, and found ourselves doing it? How many times do we not even notice what we’re doing?

Or discover that we’ve done it?

          For a church to be a hospital treating sin-sickness is a dangerous, difficult thing. First, people love their sins. Giving them up is (like) dying. Secondly, sometimes, the victim of a sin is the sinner. Sometimes, it is a little child, a spouse, or other person. Do we close our doors to the woman caught in adultery? To the man discovered to be gay? To the drunkard, drug addict, or glutton? How can we permit some of these folks in? Do we walk our children down the far side of the hall and tell them, “Stay away from that man, he’s sick”? If we do, can we extend our hand in friendship? If we don’t, aren’t we sinning?

          I’m not claiming to have answers to those things, but let’s make it personal. Each of us has stuff about us that needs to change. James calls us to do what Scripture says, not just read it, but doing what Scripture says is tough sometimes. Most of us don’t get the gift of “and I never even wanted to ______ again.” Bad habits don’t melt away when we read the Bible. In fact, they may become worse.

          And we don’t want the “doctor” at our local church to know about this or that symptom. We don’t want to submit to a thorough examination, even at our own hands. But that’s what doing what Scripture says requires. And so is taking the hand of another sinner either to help, or to be helped.

          How do we treat our own sins? How do we treat those of others? What does Scripture say? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t