Skip to main content

Guilty!

     for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Romans 3:23)

 

Sadly, I can’t find the other passage I wanted to use today. It had to do with some people having tender consciences, but it wasn’t about eating foods sacrificed to idols. The point of the two verses was to introduce an idea shared by John Ortberg yesterday about guilt. As Romans 3:23 points out, we are all sinners. We are all guilty. Christians have been forgiven, our sins have been atoned for, and so we are declared “not guilty.” Sometimes there’s more than a little reason to wonder about the “not-guilty”-ness of some, but that’s another issue. And concerning some specific sins, there are probably many who are not guilty. The key here is that at this point, we are talking about a legal condition. One is either guilty, or one is not guilty. There was a time when this was fairly well-recognized in society.

But in addition to the condition of guilt, there is also a feeling of guilt. You can feel guilty or not feel guilty.  Ultimately, this chart summarizes the possibilities:

 

Guilty and Feeling Guilty

 

Not Guilty and Feeling Guilty

(Neurotic)

Guilty and Not Feeling Guilty

(Narcissistic or Nihilistic)

Not Guilty and Not Feeling Guilty

 

The green quadrants in are the ones we need to avoid. They are refusals to deal with reality and are unhealthy for us. What about the other two? The best choice is to be in the bottom right quadrant: to not be guilty and not feel guilty. But feeling guilty when we are guilty is still sane. It’s still dealing with reality, and it’s still healthy because we can do something about it. We can turn away from what we have done wrong. We can seek forgiveness.

One of the problems we face is the fact that we can’t always be sure whether we are actually guilty or not. Are we doing something because we are good or because we want to be seen as good? Is what we’re doing good because we like it – it’s our choice, or it makes us feel good – or because it is actually good? Is something only good if we don’t like it but do it anyway?  It’s difficult to discern our own motives, especially since they so often are mixed. Yes, it’s the right thing to do, but we have to admit, we’d like to also be seen as doing what is right. And when we do the right thing and are not guilty of doing the wrong thing, how often to we grow self-righteous or smug, thereby becoming guilty of something else?

The key to all of this is the development of close relationships with those who can help us see our guilty conditions and who can help us to separate the feelings of guilt from the reality of guilt. And the best objective viewer of our lives is the One who can look on the heart, not just at our appearance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t