Skip to main content

Identity

             So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! (II Corinthians 5:16-17) 

for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. (Galatians 3:27-29) 

Other translations say that those who are in Christ are new creations. Think about this for a few minutes.  If you join the military, you go through some sort of basic training. You are separated from everyone you know. You are stripped of your individuality – same haircuts, same food, same bedroom (barracks) and same drill instructor screaming at you and telling you that you’re nothing. The same concept is used by cults and militia, though often not quite so aggressively. If you ever watched “What Not To Wear,” the show used the same formula. They made fun of the way the person dressed, gave rules about clothes, sent the person off to shop for herself, and intervened when the person failed to follow the rules or got too discouraged.

This is not an unusual process. It’s all about identity. When you become a Christian, you’re no longer a Jew, nor a Gentile. You’re a Christian. You aren’t rich, or poor. You’re a Christian. You’re not a slave, and you’re not a freeman. You’re a Christian. You’re neither male, nor female. You are a Christian. This doesn’t mean that those others cease to exist, but they do cease to be the basis on which you make decisions or relate to others.

One of the complaints I hear in society is that we’re divided. People say that we need to come together. Those same folks are the ones who talk about validating people in their identities. It seems like a nice thing to do. But here’s the problem. Most people are seeking support for an identity that does them more harm than good. Some want to be able to rely on someone/everyone to build them up in a way that feeds their identity, and if anyone declines to build them up, that person is rejected, abused, and/or hated. It's called codependency.

Those who seek their identities in anything or anyone else but Christ deserve pity and guidance/correction, and we all do it. As I think about my own identity in Christ, I feel my defenses go up. I’m not that…or that… It would be nice to be those things, but I can’t live up to the standards or don’t want to live up to them. The price is too high, or I’m a failure. It’s something I need to continue to work on, and so do you. If we truly based our identities in Him, none of the other identities wouldn’t matter, and we would never seek to validate anyone in any other. Instead, we would seek to free them from those idols.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t