Skip to main content

Alive ...

             For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart (Hebrews 4:12)

 

             I read a lot – not nearly enough, but a lot. Over the past couple of years, I’ve been trying to develop some themes for different times of the year. Of course, October is the month in which to read horror. I listened to some stories and poems by Edgar Allen Poe, read by Vincent Price and Nigel Rathbone. I can’t say they were frightening. I read The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. It was interesting but not really frightening. I’m almost done with The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. For me, this story is scary, and I probably shouldn’t be reading it right before bed, but that’s when I get to read. The thing about these stories is that the reader is supposed to be emotionally involved for a horror novel to be effective. If someone isn’t scared, the story has failed for that person. Emotional involvement is key to a lot of writing, but at least in the case of most horror stories, the whole point is that we know they’re not true. We close the book and put it down, and our bodies (generally) settle back down.

            As I think about today’s passage, I think that The Haunting of Hill House is partly alive. I interact with it. I don’t just read the words; I respond to them. At the same time, when I close the book, it is with the knowledge that it’s not true. That makes the book only partly alive. I’ve read other true books that speak the truth but evoke no emotional response. They seem to interact more with the world but not with me. Those books might be termed active.

            Then there are the books that are both alive and active. They speak to our souls and our souls respond (if our souls are not dead), and they speak truth to the world. The book can be a novel and do this because it speaks truth within the fiction. But I doubt any book does it better than the Bible. Not only does it evoke responses, but those responses are not about the characters but about the reader because it tells the truth simultaneously. In addition, those responses aren’t just fear, amusement, or anger, but they may evoke each of those separately and possibly in combinations. The next time the same passage is read, you may have a different response. And even in those parts that are clearly stories (AKA parables), there is truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...