Skip to main content

Answers

             Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’ (Jeremiah 33:3)

I’ve seen memes on social media in which someone says, in effect, that if you don’t answer their text within 30 seconds, there’s something wrong with you, you’re being rude, and you must not care for the person who texted. And I’m not talking about an urgent text, like, “The appointment ended early, can you pick me up?” It’s more like, “Good morning, did you sleep well?” Polite perhaps, but it’s not something that needs an immediate answer other than to gratify the ego of the person who sent it.

Then I consider my prayers this morning: Lord, touch my life, heal my brokenness, guide me, teach me, speak to me, conform me to the image of Your Son… They’re all great Sunday School prayers. I mean them all, but when I finish circling the part of the park where Grace is allowed, and nothing miraculous has happened, and I’ve had no major revelation, I get going on my day, and the next thing you know, it’s lunchtime, dinnertime, or bedtime and I have been getting things done but not actively thinking about God or His answering my prayers. In a way, I’m “past” them, no longer looking for an answer because it didn’t happen within that half hour.

Certainly, God could respond to our texts in the 30 seconds that might be said to be “immediately,” but He made Abram wait decades for a child. Moses spent 40 years as a shepherd before returning to Egypt to free his people, and another 40 years to come as close to completing the journey as he was permitted. Joseph spent years in prison. In Hebrews 11, it says that those who never gave up  hoping for what they didn’t see even though they never saw it are people of whom the earth is not worthy.

So when God tells Jeremiah  and/or the Israelites to call to Him, and He will answer and tell great and mighty things they don’t know, how long would it have been reasonable of them to wait to hear those great and mighty things? How long should we be willing to wait with hope for the answer? Ultimately, the answer should be that we are willing to wait forever, or that we should wait as long as it takes, but some of us are more time oriented and sometimes, even ridiculous numbers help us put it into perspective. If half a minute might count as “immediate” when dealing with a text message, then it comes to an “immediate” response in terms of a day, that would be roughly 12 hours. If we are thinking in terms of this week, “immediate” would be 3.5 days. If we’re thinking in terms of a lifetime, immediate might be said to be 40 to 50 years. And if we think in terms of eternity, immediate might be said to be thousands of years.

The point here isn’t to give legal boundaries by which God must act. It’s to broaden our own thinking. As we pray for good, big things, we should keep in mind that just as God is aware of our experience of time (having experienced it), we should be more aware of His broader view. It’s not entirely timeless, but His “immediate” may not be ours. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t