Skip to main content

Mixing Religion ...

 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.  Do not be conceited.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.  On the contrary:

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:14-21)

 

          There’s an old warning about not discussing religion or politics, and some people think it even worse to “mix” the two, but mid-term elections are coming up, which means that feelings will be running high, and attitudes burning hot. So – again, without telling us how to vote, Paul tells us how to behave. If you’re a Republican, bless the Democrats. If you’re a Democrat, bless the Republican. This doesn’t mean voting for the other’s candidates, but it might mean refraining from shouting at them or abusing them. It might mean sharing a plate of cookies with them, and picking up litter you find in their yard (not their election signs, real litter!)

          Be willing to associate with them – willing to hang out, spend time, eat a meal, etc. Part of me notes that this willingness needs to exist, but doesn’t have to exist in a way that willingness to spend time with likeminded doesn’t. It’s not likely God is asking you to throw weekly parties to which you invite only those who disagree with you politically if you’re not a party person.

          Don’t say things like, “But they started it!” Or “they did just as bad.” The only time their behavior should be a standard for us is when they’re doing good. Otherwise, treat them as you would like to be treated by them. One good way to do this is to develop a policy of addressing the issues separately from the person. This is harder when it involves a philosophy, political stand, or religion because the person tends to be so closely associated with their beliefs, feelings, and opinions, but work on it.

          It seems as if people too often seem to think that because their candidate was elected, they should get their way for the next four years. They don’t grant the other side the same control if the other side wins, but their side should be allowed to do whatever they want. And, the other side is warned, “Look out!” because if their side wins in the next election, they’re going to take revenge for everything that happened while their side was not in power. This is not Christian behavior.

          This doesn’t mean that if someone thinks that something that is happening is wrong, that they aren’t permitted to speak up. We must stand for the truth. But revenge should not be Christian policy. We are not to overcome evil with evil, but with good. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t