Skip to main content

Logic

 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)

 

I’ll admit it. This morning - possibly because I’m listening to Sherlock Holmes stories, and partly as a result of some recent events, I’m feeling logically argumentative. I hope it’s of use to you at some point when you encounter the same idea.

          Let us suppose that I have put these two mugs on the table before you:



          I grant that one has the handle pointing left, the other has the handle pointing right, and that one has flowers nearer it, but those are not real differences. If I asked you to describe them, you might say that they are usable, identical white, 12 oz mugs and ask that I pour us both cups of coffee. I might tell you that you’re wrong. They’re not identical: one has a tiny hole in the bottom, and they are light gray.

          The biggest point is that we cannot both be right and honest. We may both be honest if one or both of us is wrong. But if one of us is right, the other must be mistaken or dishonest. If we are correct that they are both 12 oz mugs, that does not make us correct about any of the rest.

          Yes, this is all a restatement of C.S. Lewis’ trilemma. Scripture states that Jesus said the words above. He either said them, or He didn’t. At this point, while there are those who say that He didn’t say them, they present no documentary evidence to that effect. They have theories, but no evidence. So, they may be right, they may be wrong, or they may be lying. But if we are going to reject the notion that Jesus said it without solid evidence, we must also reject all other statements by all people unless we have heard it from them ourselves. Even audio recordings must be suspect in this day of AI.

          If He did say them, He told the truth, was mistaken, or lied. And this is where we come back to the coffee mug idea. Some claim that all gods are the same, and all religions are the same. The first problem I have with this is that if all gods and religions are the same, then why should the person seeking to convince others to join their religion not be the one to join the one they hope the others will leave? If both cups are identical, why try to get me to drink out of the one you’re holding? Ultimately, every leader of every religion - even the ones that claim all religions are the same - maintain that their own religion is somehow superior. If they weren’t superior, they would have left their religions for something that was superior to theirs and there would be no reason to suggest to anyone that they should change.

          But let’s make it even tougher. Jesus said that no one comes to the Father but by Him.  In II Corinthains 6:15, Paul said it well, “What harmony is there between Christ and Belial?” If someone’s religion rejects the notion that Jesus is the only way to God, then there are two choices:  Both parties are wrong, and neither Jesus nor the other is true and good or one party is deceived or deceptive (or both) and should be rejected.  They cannot both be correct and good, and there cannot be harmony or peace between them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...