Skip to main content

Direct Objects

             Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. (I Corinthians 13:4)

          I’ve suggested an exercise for this passage before. Stand in front of a mirror and read this verse aloud. Replace the word love with God and add to/with/? me after each description. Look in the mirror as much as you can – tell yourself, “God is patient with me. God is kind to me. God does not envy me. God does not boast to me. God isn’t proud toward me.” Then change God to I and me to the name of someone else, and repeat. “I am patient with ____. I am kind to _____. I do not envy ____, I am not proud toward ______.” Change it out more times with different names, ending with “myself.” If any of those ignite an emotional response, take note of them as something to discuss with God.

          I’m reading an advanced reader copy of a book written by a social media friend who suggests another examination dealing with what emotions we feel. After identifying the emotion, she advises that we ask whether it is appropriate to the situation. There may be times when what we think of as patience and kindness might not be appropriate, or envy, boastfulness, or pride might be appropriate. They are the exception, not the rule, but the key here is to be able to identify these things, to recognize when we are (not) being patient or kind, or when we are (not) envying, boasting, or prideful. Then, we need to recognize when those behaviors are appropriate, when they’re not, and when they have nothing to do with the person involved. (Am I yelling at the person standing in front of me? At God? At one of my parents?)

          One of the things the exercise above makes clear is that much of what we do and how we feel involves a direct object or victim. We are patient with a victim, kind to a victim, not envious of the victim, not boastful to a victim, and not prideful toward a victim. One of the challenges we face is the temptation to love people who aren’t around. It may be easy to love the poor in Africa, Asia, and South America. We think kind thoughts, send charity, and talk to others about what wonderful people they are, but they aren’t here. As you sing their praises, the person beside you fades into nonexistence. You might not think you mean harm, but this is a form of hatred.

          “Fading” someone can be a conscious attack or an automatic response, and it’s one I think we all practice. We may tell ourselves we refuse to reward inappropriate behavior or engage in negative feedback. Still, whatever labels we put on it, it is not love if it is directed toward a person and not a specific behavior. And just as a suggestion, it might be that our intentional fading of ourselves might be a cloaking device meant to protect us from the hatred of others, or it might be used to release us from the responsibility to love others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...