Skip to main content

Four Negatives

              It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. (I Corinthians 13:5)

          Feel free to repeat yesterday’s exercises with this verse. Today’s selection from this famous passage demonstrates something worthy of consideration. It (love) does not…is not…is not…keeps no. Yesterday’s selection included two positives (patient, kind) but three negatives (not envy, not boast, not proud.) In this famous passage, we are told seven things that love is or does, and nine things that love is not and does not.

          The first point for today: Love does not dishonor others. The Greek Interlinear translation I have says, “does not act unbecomingly.” There’s some cultural influence here. What dishonored others or was unbecoming a century ago may not be now. So let’s ignore the examples and generalize. Love does not seek to make the lover look good and the other look bad. It doesn’t embarrass, humiliate, or shame. Too many people think we should call others names, belittle, demean, and shame those who don’t live the way they dictate. There are cultures in which this is considered normal and appropriate, but Scripture disagrees.

          This sort of behavior has a name in logic. It’s the ad hominem fallacy. It involves attacking the person rather than discussing the issue. It can run in either direction- “You’re______   if you do X.” Or “Because you do/think X, you’re ______.” Here’s the problem. If you are stupid and claim that 2+2=4, that doesn’t mean that 2+2 equals something other than 4. You’re not wrong just because you’re stupid. You could be stupid and be right. So the attack on your intelligence is not a proof that what you’ve  said is wrong.

          Love is not self-seeking. Just as love doesn’t turn the spotlight on others to make them feel or seem bad, love also does not turn the spotlight on the lover to make them feel superior or good. This is one of the things gas lighters do.

          Love is not easily angered. There are two self-justifications involved with anger. The first is that “It’s not my fault. _____ made me angry.” So, that person has control of you. You can’t do other than what he/she says? The other is, ”I have a right to be angry.” Yes, you have a right to be angry. But must you? Is it the best option available? Just because you have a right doesn’t mean you have no choice but to exercise that right.  You don’t have to own a gun just because you have a right to do so.

          Love keeps no record of wrongs. This rejects a common attack in bad arguments: “You always/never ___.”  Love forgives. That doesn’t mean actions don't have consequences. It means that we don't choose to continue the cycle of hatred.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...