Skip to main content

The Shema!

             Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. (Deuteronomy 6:4-5)

            The Shema! How can I pass up writing about this when it’s suggested as the verse of the day? I spent years trying to figure out (along with lots of other people) a “personal mission statement,” only to discover that God had already told us. I’d even heard these verses or their references in the New Testament. One day, it just clicked – intellectually. This is our mission – every single person’s mission. Loving our neighbors as ourselves is a consequence of it.

          The question should not be “What’s my mission?” But it often is because we “will make [ourselves] like the Most High,” (ref. Isaiah 14:14.) Life gets in the way of asking what this means, let alone living it out. I suspect we don’t realize how often we fail to love those we see daily, let alone a being who cannot be seen and doesn’t invade our consciousness like a needy dog. In fact, I think sometimes we are more attentive to and compassionate toward the needy dog than we are toward a God we need.

          The question should be “How will I fulfill my mission to love God with all my heart, with all my soul, and with all my strength?” Two places to begin are with loving our neighbors as ourselves and by obedience to what God has commanded. I say “begin” because we can love our neighbors and even do what God commanded without loving God. But loving God includes loving our neighbors and obeying what He commanded.

          Another, more difficult task is letting God be God. This ties in with yesterday’s post. Can we love God if we then tell Him that He’s not welcome to care for us? If we aren’t willing to “burden” Him? There’s a difference here between dealing with our guilt and dealing with our shame. God has already addressed our guilt. What we tend to want Him to not touch is our shame.

          A final difficulty that we face is unrealistic expectations. What does it mean to love God with all our hearts, souls, and strengths? Think of the Grinch. In the course of the story, his heart grows three sizes. What he could do at the beginning and the end are different. Think of your muscles. If you start lifting weights (consistently and over time) don’t they get stronger? In Young Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock gets disgusted because he can’t play the violin. When Watson asks how long he’s been learning, it turns out he’d just started that day.

          Dare I say it? Do what you can, where you are, with what you have, now. Tomorrow, you may love better, or worse, but repeat the effort. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...