Skip to main content

Seeking The Lord

                 Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near. (Isaiah 55:6)

                And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (Hebrews 11:6)

                God is omnipresent. He’s everywhere. Why should we have to seek Him? How can we not call on Him while He’s near, since He’s always near? Of course, when you get absorbed in a book, you can be physically present with someone, but also be a million miles away. Or when you’re angry with someone, you may be in the same household, but you’re distant. Parents may “stand back” and allow a child to struggle. They seem to be distancing themselves from the child, but it teaches the child things the child needs to know. Not all distance is of the same sort. Two people can grow apart while sharing a bed.

                Another aspect of seeking God while He may be found is that if a person doesn’t seek Him when they are of the right frame of soul, they may not be able to find Him even if He is “right there.” This was one of the problems the Pharisees had in the First Century. Jesus performed miracles and fit the prophecies, but they couldn’t see Him. The Israelites who left Egypt had the pillar of cloud and the pillar of fire, and the fire on Mt. Sinai, but insisted that Aaron built an idol for them.

                I do not suggest that God never (or can’t) make His presence known whenever He wants. But it’s terribly difficult to find something that’s in the kitchen if one refuses to look in the kitchen. God can be found most easily by someone who is humble, patient, persistent, open-minded, and honest. We should seek God when those characteristics describe us. Otherwise, we’re closing our eyes, sticking our fingers in our ears and shouting “Nya, nya, nya, I can’t hear you!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...