Skip to main content

Fear of Man

             Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.  (Proverbs 29:25)

                What are you afraid of? Chances are good, you’ll answer with something like spiders, snakes, death, or public speaking. You might suggest something like lions, tigers, bears, or Great Whites. The key involved is that these all provoke great aversion. I used to stop gardening once the spiders showed up on the plants. I’ll admit that I’m not likely to want to swim in the ocean, especially off the coast of South Africa and if there were a tiger on the loose in my area, I’m not likely to sit outside, even knowing that tigers are rarely man-eaters. That’s one kind of fear.

                And someone could have that sort of fear of other people, while others might be afraid of a certain sort of other person: serial killers, mass shooters, rapists, members of whatever group is being associated with ultimate evil, etc. Those sorts of fears would certainly be a snare, making it almost impossible to live a normal life. But there’s another sort of fear of man that can also snare us. It’s not a fear of physical harm, but more of a relational, social, or emotional thing. The positive side of it is a respect for others, but it’s easily turned into a negative thing involving the fear of rejection. This is the sort of fear that can turn into a snare because it leads to our doing things that are evil, or at least not wise, to avoid offending someone.

                One of the problems with this sort of fear is that there are approximately eight billion people in the world. Not offending this one means offending that one. Even if you narrow it down to a group of ten people, they’re not going to agree. Some may change their minds from one day to the next. It’s the sort of snare that leads (at least figuratively) to jumping through hoops.

                I must also note that rebellion against these same people, in an insistence on independence and freedom is also a form of fearing them. If your choices are made relative to the preferences of others, whether positive or negative, your are still chained to them.  And even if you only choose one person about whose opinions you will obsess, that person’s opinions may change, or may never have your best interests at heart, no matter how lofty their ideals.

                On the other hand, there is God, who does not change. God, who loves you and does have your best interests in mind even if you don’t agree. And God has told us in Scripture what He requires. The guessing game of man’s approval goes away. No more trying to spin ten, a hundred, or eight billion plates. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...