Skip to main content

Apart from Him

                 I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed— I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “that I am God.” (Isaiah 43:11-12)

                How many times was Israel saved? I almost feel as if I should tally it. Of course, it depends on your definition of “saved” and where you set the bar for it, but a quick look online gave answers from 7 to over 40, and I suspect it was many more times than that. Sure, we can easily pick out the dramatic ones like the exodus from Egypt and several different battles, but how many times did He do so quietly?

                How many times has God saved you or your loved ones? I’m not talking about eternal salvation. Do you have dramatic examples? How many quiet examples didn’t you notice? And put aside the direct, physical protection. What about the emotional, spiritual, and relational protection and salvation that you’ve been given? Do we thank God enough for these even if we don’t recognize them?

                Now, how many times has another god saved you? Yes, I know, every time that we attribute to God, we can probably attribute to anyone and anything else, but the point is that we have been saved, and even if we want to claim dumb luck or random chance were responsible, we’re still claiming that something was responsible. And even if someone says, “figurative language,” its doubtful that they would use such figurative language if there weren’t some sense of the truth that someone or something was involved. But, how do we determine which God? Again, how many times have you heard of another god saving someone – especially someone who wasn’t important somehow? How many gods are described as being involved in historical events?

                In the end, Israel and we will be witnesses. The question will be whether we are honest witnesses, or whether we’ll make excuses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...