You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water. (Psalm 63:1)
And we know that in all
things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.
(Romans 8:28)
Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. (Romans 5:3-4)
You might not be as eloquent as
David. I know I’m not. But when does this verse describe you? Is
it when you’re lonely? Bored? Feeling out of control? Overwhelmed? Angry? All
of the preceding? Something else? The next time you feel longing for God,
consider the reason. See if you can establish a pattern. Then, when you
feel that emotion, you can take it to God, not only expressing your longing for
Him, but taking the reason for it with you.
Another benefit is that you can become familiar with it, know that
it’s not the end of the world, and even come to recognize it as a friend that
lures you toward God. You can say, “Hello, Disappointment (or whatever), let’s seek God.” Then, “Father, where are you? Disappointment and I need to talk to You.”
I’m not suggesting this will magically make Disappointment disappear.
But it may ease Disappointment's hold, and it may make Disappointment a friend who travels with you.
If you haven’t read Hind’s Feet On High Places, this
is one of the themes. I don’t agree with all the theology in the story, but in
it, Sorrow and Suffering travel with Much Afraid, and (spoiler alert) together,
all three are transformed. This fits with Romans 8:28 and Romans 5:3-4, quoted
above.
Comments
Post a Comment