Skip to main content

May Your Love Abound

             And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, (Philippians 1:9-10)

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. (Proverbs 22:6)

A friend told me her story with the verse from Proverbs above. She had thought it meant that we should train a child in the direction we wanted them to live. She realized that it was more about teaching a child in accordance with the child’s personality, abilities, etc. I suspect both are true. We should teach children both what is right and good, and according to their proclivities. If you have a child with mechanical skill, teach him/her mechanics. Don’t demand that a child who loves to cook ignore the stove and learn to repair an engine. But at the same time, teach a child that it’s wrong to steal or beat people up no matter what their skills, talents, or preferences are.

How does that connect to Philippians 1:9-10? In today’s primary passage, Paul wrote that love and knowledge are inextricably linked. Sometimes, when others judge our love for someone, they couch it in emotional terms. We’re to be compassionate, tender-hearted, accepting, approving, etc. Sometimes, they say we should “speak the truth in love.” Today’s passage suggests that love is not love unless it includes knowledge and depth of insight. It needs to include not only encouraging the beloved toward what is good and right, but also toward what fits that person.

And where there is disagreement between what is right, good, and true, and good, and what fits the person?  I suggest that telling them to go with what they think fits even though it’s not right, good, and true is not seeking what is best for the person. They have a decision to make, but what is not right, good, and true is also not loving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...